The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:04

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2011, 15:42 

Well, this IS interesting! I never thought that we would be able to contact Ron Stuckey after all these years! I hope to get more info on my dad's last flight from his son. Ron is the last survivor of the flight. Stay tuned! Jeremy Sale.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2013, 01:50 

I just wanted to say thanks. I was inspired by this thread to ask about my relative Oscar Berkowitz. The family had always wondered if more information were available on what happened to him. Incredible the amount of information including a picture of his aircraft. Thank you so much those of you who spend your time and energy here.

- Mike

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2013, 18:15 

Information on Berkowitz

BERKOWITZ, O Oscar 27 Air Sergeant, 205434
SAAF 24 Sqn
01.09.1942 KIA

Alamein Memorial, Egypt
Column 268
Son of Saky and Fanny BERKOWITZ, of Johannesburg, Transvaal, South Africa

Boston Mk.III AL-674
AL-674 was one of fifteen Bostons and three B-25 Mitchell Mk.II’s under the command of Maj D.U Nel which were on their way to bomb the DAK, who were advancing. The aircraft came under flak fire and AL-674 and one B-25 Mitchell were hit. The flak which hit AL-674 blew the tail off. Only the Observer from AL-674 managed to bale out, as his escape hatch was directly below him in the nose. Lt. SHUTER was captured and spent the rest of the war as a POW in Germany.

Crew:
Lt. J.A POCOCK 103572V Pilot SAAF 24 † KIA Alamein Memorial, Egypt
Lt. A.B SHUTER 94310V Observer SAAF ** POW Stalag Luft III Germany, now Poland, # 718
A/Sgt. O BERKOWITZ 205434V Air Gnr SAAF 27 † KIA Alamein Memorial, Egypt
A/Sgt. B KATZ 26618V Air Gnr ** † KIA Alamein Memorial, Egypt

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2013, 22:24 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Quote:
Well, this IS interesting! I never thought that we would be able to contact Ron Stuckey after all these years! I hope to get more info on my dad's last flight from his son. Ron is the last survivor of the flight. Stay tuned! Jeremy Sale.

Here is an extract from 'Eagles Strike' by J A Brown in which your dad is mentioned.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 23:43 

Working on doing a digital story (Pages program) on my father Teddy Sale, WWII pilot, shot down March 20th, 1943. I am confused about the positioning of crew on Boston IIIs. Pilot, Observer/bomb aimer, upper gunner, all OK. Where is the fourth crew member (lower gunner?) positioned? See image below.

Also, I am interested in doing one of those box thingies where you put in a photo, medals, wings, etc. So I am looking for appropriate WWII SAAF wings and 24th Sq badge, Per Noctem Per Diem. Any help much appreciated. Jeremy Sale.