The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:15

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2005, 18:41 

Location: Washington D.C. / New York City / sometimes beautiful Cape Town
Interested in the title? Well, I must admit, it has nothing to do with a Spitfire or a Junkers, but, rather, the SAAF pilot shortage, as noted in parliament recently. Just like Fighter Command in 1940, we are running out of pilots - or are we?

Dean's 'News' section carries a report by a newspaper (10.08) stating that the Air Force has 30 pilots and 130 pilots in training. Now, I cannot believe this to be so. Post World War Two, the SAAF has never ( I think? ) had the capacity to train so many to wings standard at the same time. Perhaps the answer given by the MoD has been misinterpreted by the FF.

Two important ommissions could impact on figures given. First, perhaps the Air Force ( I don't know its policy ) classes pilots who are converting onto aircraft, or into different roles, as 'trainees'. So this would include, for example, Alo III pilots training to be Oryx commanders, Astra pilots doing jet conversions and Impala pilots moving onto the Cheetah. Given the amount of roles a pilot has to go through ( co-pilot, commander, flight leader and so on), I'm sure there are always quite a few people doing a course as described.

Second, and, again, I don't know if this is SAAF policy, but perhaps instructor pilots are excluded from force totals, since although they may be operationally capable, they are not operationally rated. This was true back in New Zealand, when it still had a fighter capability. A pilot could have 1000 hours on a Skyhawk, but if they were an instructor on the MB339, they didn't qualify as being operationally rated, whilst on tour at the MB339 squadron (14Sqn). By parity of reasoning, pilots at TFDC would also be excluded from such totals.

So, do we have more pilots then? If one factored in the two possible ommissions, as well as reserve pilots, then yes. Perhaps it isn't all doom and gloom. Howver, I'm sure that Darren and all those Candidate Officer pilots can inform me better.

Of course, the possibility exists that I am completely wrong. I noted that the acting OC of 19Sqn, the Oryx founder, is a Captain. Now, I'm sure he is a good pilot and a responsible leader, but isn't Captain a bit of a low rank, in terms of commanding a squadron? I know the SANDF is trying to move away from its 'Dad's Army' image, but they go too far!

Regards

Michael