The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 24 Mar 2019, 21:14

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Cava?
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2016, 20:18 

Very interesting, thanks!

That little advertisement seems to give away a bit of unintentional detail. For one, the Cheetah D had only been unveiled four days before it was published and it would be another year before the Cheetah E became public knowledge, but that's clearly a sketch of a Cheetah E in the upper right quadrant of the first page. Anyone knowing what to look for, and familiar with the Kfir, might've been able to put two and two together.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2016, 14:53 

I have been looking at the most recent data of the Carver and created an illustration of what it would have looked like in modern day SAAF service. This is a modern interpretation of the info that I could gather about it.

Larger version here:
https://www.facebook.com/Vector-Aviatio ... 451677484/

ImageCarver_small by Gerard Griessel, on Flickr

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2016, 15:02 
Site Admin

Welcome back and nicely done.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2016, 23:49 

gerard wrote:
I have been looking at the most recent data of the Carver and created an illustration of what it would have looked like in modern day SAAF service. This is a modern interpretation of the info that I could gather about it.

Larger version here:
https://www.facebook.com/Vector-Aviatio ... 451677484/

ImageCarver_small by Gerard Griessel, on Flickr

Hi Gerard

Funny you should post this. I am thinking of building a Cava what-if model in 1 Sqn markings.

For Everyone

I have the following questions based on the following assumptions:
-1Sqn is still operational flying a 4.5 gen fighter primarily in the strike role.
-2 Sqn would also be flying the same or similar 4.5 gen aircraft focused more on air-superiority and reconnaissance.

Hypothetically, would the SAAF have painted their strike aircraft grey, given that most Air forces have?
Or, would they have used a ground attack camo pattern similar to that of the final F-1AZ scheme?
If, the SAAF did paint the aircraft grey would they have used the current diamond scheme for 1Sqn and 2 Sqn?
Would the SAAF 4.5 Gen strike aircraft be a single or dual seat aircraft.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2016, 18:07 

Marc, the answer is grey as the current de facto camo scheme (for western air forces) whether at altitude or ground level. But I reckon you should go with the late AZ camo. Too many grey aeries out there. That AZ camo was the sexiest ever :smt023

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2016, 10:29 

With F1AZ scheme:

ImageCarver2_small by Gerard Griessel, on Flickr

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2016, 16:18 

Hi Gerard

That's great. thanks for posting.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2016, 17:18 

Fantastic work Gerard! It looks amazing.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 12:14 

I don't know if this the correct place to post this, but here goes nothing. Dean can move it to the appropriate location if this is not it. :roll:

Project Carver is still shrouded in secrecy even though the project ended nearly 27 years ago. We only have a few line sketches which themselves are no more than an interpretation of how carver could have looked given the information that is known. Those who worked on the project are still unwilling to break their silence even though the government they swore secrecy to no longer exists. Perhaps the biggest challenge ever undertook by the South African aerospace industry will never see the light of day beyond a few models and line sketches surfacing. :cry:

But I am not here to moan about those things. In my part time I sketch a bit, and one afternoon I sat down and let loose with my pencil and soon I had the outlines of my Carver before me. I say my since I used the sketches out there, the model that recently surfaced, the known information on the aircraft and a bit of artistic freedom to form what I think Carver would have looked like had she entered service somewhere post 2000. So here she is:

Comments and constructive criticism welcome! I just hope that we one day know and learn much, much more about this project! [-o<

Keep your feet on the ground, and reach for the skies!

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 12:26 

That's fantastic! It really helps to bring the aircraft to life and give an idea of what it would've looked like in service.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 12:31 
Site Admin

Very nice! =D>

What could have been ...

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 12:36 

I just realised I hadn't commented on gerard's images. Those are also amazing, I love the detail!

There's great creative talent on display here.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2018, 20:35 

Lovely sketch Mamba. :smt023 8)

Please post more of your work [-o< [-o< [-o<

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 07:17 

Very nice work there Mamba :smt023 . I'll go with that as an XDM (Experimental Development Model) so please can you give us an ADM (Advanced Development Model) version converted with double delta wings and wingtip missile rails. A niggling thing in the back of my mind makes me think that's how the wing would've been designed. I have a nice computer generated image of a Cheetah C with this type of wing plan and this may have been a precursor to Cava's wing configuration.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 11:22 

Mistral wrote:
Very nice work there Mamba :smt023 . I'll go with that as an XDM (Experimental Development Model) so please can you give us an ADM (Advanced Development Model) version converted with double delta wings and wingtip missile rails. A niggling thing in the back of my mind makes me think that's how the wing would've been designed. I have a nice computer generated image of a Cheetah C with this type of wing plan and this may have been a precursor to Cava's wing configuration.

Thank you guys! Glad she has had a good reception here. I have a few other SAAF things I might post in the future.

Are you talking about this image Mistral?:

Those canards look smaller than the normal C canards?

Perhaps in the future I might do a second Carver ADM. :lol: Luckily if anyone wants to prove me and my Carver wrong, they are more than welcome to produce the required drawings and or models to back their case. :wink: I went the Mirage 2000/4000 route since, well, they were well represented in terms of designers in the Carver project... :twisted:

Keep your feet on the ground, and reach for the skies!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next