The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:40

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project Cava?
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 16:56 

Yes that's the one :smt023

Talking of Mirage 2000, I remember David Fabish working at Denel circa 1986, my last year of vacation work there.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2018, 19:01 

mamba wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Very nice work there Mamba :smt023 . I'll go with that as an XDM (Experimental Development Model) so please can you give us an ADM (Advanced Development Model) version converted with double delta wings and wingtip missile rails. A niggling thing in the back of my mind makes me think that's how the wing would've been designed. I have a nice computer generated image of a Cheetah C with this type of wing plan and this may have been a precursor to Cava's wing configuration.

Thank you guys! Glad she has had a good reception here. I have a few other SAAF things I might post in the future.

Are you talking about this image Mistral?:

Those canards look smaller than the normal C canards?

Perhaps in the future I might do a second Carver ADM. :lol: Luckily if anyone wants to prove me and my Carver wrong, they are more than welcome to produce the required drawings and or models to back their case. :wink: I went the Mirage 2000/4000 route since, well, they were well represented in terms of designers in the Carver project... :twisted:

To make the timeline correct this particular image come from after Carver was cancelled and we switched to design excercises of Cheetah wing upgrades ultimately resulting in what we called the "advanced combat wing"

The small canard is the "70%" canard of the Cheetah E and D's The Cheetah C had the full sized Kfir Canard.

An interesting thing I discovered, being in Switzerland, is that one ex Swiss Mirage Jockey told me that the Swiss invented the 70% canard (which was put on all the Swiss Mirage III's) and sold the idea to the SAAF. It had the advantage is that no structural reinforcing of the fuselage frame was needed for the smaller canard and it was just as effective.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 22:21 

C'mon Deltawingman, share some more info on Cava (Carver) wing plans and fuselage configs... [-o<

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 22:23 

Deltawingman wrote:
To make the timeline correct this particular image come from after Carver was cancelled and we switched to design excercises of Cheetah wing upgrades ultimately resulting in what we called the "advanced combat wing"

As tested on 855 :smt023

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2018, 22:25 

Mistral wrote:
C'mon Deltawingman, share some more info on Cava (Carver) wing plans and fuselage configs... [-o<

And by the way, the Pilatus PC-24 looks really great :smt023 :D

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 20:38 

Mistral wrote:

This X1000.
C'mon.

PostPosted: 20 May 2022, 14:08 
Site Admin

Low-speed wind-tunnel model of the single-engine Project Carver design:

PostPosted: 20 May 2022, 22:23 

Cool. It's a long time since I've seen that!.

PostPosted: 21 May 2022, 07:28 

Brilliant!!

PostPosted: 21 May 2022, 13:47 

The camber on the wing looks interesting.
I assume this model was primarily used to test the wing leading edge design, or different variants thereof?Deltawingman, I think you said you worked on the ACW.
Was there a filter down of info from work done on Carver down to the Cheetah and Mirage upgrades?

Dean, those are brilliant pics.
Do you have any more?

PostPosted: 21 May 2022, 16:15 
Site Admin

Sorry LE, those are the only ones I've seen.

PostPosted: 21 May 2022, 22:56 

Thanks Dean.
Deltawingman, that camber on the wing leading edge looks similar to the ACW developed for the Cheetah.
Did you have any input into it?

PostPosted: 22 May 2022, 11:49 

leading edge wrote:
Thanks Dean.
Deltawingman, that camber on the wing leading edge looks similar to the ACW developed for the Cheetah.
Did you have any input into it?

No. That model had very standard conical camber; same basic concept as the Mirage III. (The F106 and F-15 also have noticeable standard conical camber, a concept from the 1950's possibly invented by the legendary R.T. Jones but I need to check that up) The major difference being that this Carver version (1st iteration) had a 55° leading edge sweep instead of the 60° of the Mirage III

It was a bit after this time that we started experimenting with computer optimised wing camber and tested a few "wing only" models in the wind tunnel to verify the method. We used that method, modified with constraints to modify only the leading edge, to design the ACW.

PS what you see in the photo's is a model with an extended leading edge slat. The intention was to have Mirage 2000 type (non slotted) slats.

PostPosted: 22 May 2022, 13:23 

Thanks Delta.

I assume we are talking about the Carver wing now, not the ACW.

So were there other wing sweep angles looked at, or was the 55 degree settled upon?
Was a fixed leading edge also looked at, with more pronounced camber, or was it always the intention to have moving leading edge slats?
The computer optimised models looked at later that you mention I assume are the Carver wing, not the ACW?

Is my understanding that the ACW was partly inspired, or a result of work done on Carver, that could then be translated into a Cheetah/Mirage wing upgrade correct?

What sort of wing configurations were studied for the Carver?

When you call it the first iteration of this Carver model,vdo you mean there were later iterations of the single engined model looked at, or do you mean first iteration as the settled upon final single engined design as opposed to the twin engined project?

Apologies for all the questions, but it is a fascinating topic.

PostPosted: 23 May 2022, 19:06 

I see on another forum that this Carver wind tunnel model is displayed next to a wind tunnel model of the Impala fitted with the Extended Range Wing.

Would this Carver model have been the final design of the single engine model, or was it still being refined at this stage?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next