The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:50

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2014, 16:27 

I will try and post some pictures of how it looked there now. I took the pictures about a month or so ago!

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2014, 15:19 

Hi, nice to find this! I was there in 1992, January intake. I remember sleeping in tents in Lyttleton at the Mobilisation base, getting kit at the Gym and them going to Hoedspruit in the bus. I was in 403 sqn, flight 1. Cpl Grobler and Pienaar were our instructors. I remember Cpl Oberholzer having flight 6, those guys never learned how to drill properly, but man, could they leopard crawl! The thing I remember most is the crappy food at the lower mess hall and that white parade ground reflecting the heat from below!! Oh, and Cpl Buys with those evil eyes peeking from below his bush hat, with his almost white browns...

I ended up living it up at Waterkloof AFB after going to Bourke's Luck for doggy training and later that year when the new roofies showed up (the last intake for the SAAF) with Cpl Buys in tow, I nearly ran away :lol: Don't know what happened to him, but he ended up in the Seargent Major's office there. 504 sqn. I think Oberholzer went to SLT in Voortrekkerhoogte in the latter part of '92.

Anyone remember Flight Seargent van Der Linde?, Major Gawie Vermeulen?, Segeant Major van der Merwe?? "Korporaals, hulle moet brul soos jong leeus!!!"

Fun times...

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2014, 16:38 

Blast from the past. Good reading. I was in the '92 intake and really enjoyed reading the posts above. I ended up with Corporal Olivier and Erasmus. Johan we had a similar routing although don't think we met. I also did the dog thing in Bourke's Luck, posted to Swartkops afterwards. You must also have been part of the dog intake when that guy got half his hand chewed of by one of those dodgy Rottwiellers. Barbon and Barbant, or something like that they were called.
I take it by the comments above the flower beds we so diligently 'flooded' each day never made it either.

Lik eee Lik eee Lik eee Lik eee, what was that characters name, does anybody recall? He was a flight sergeant or something like that.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2014, 08:03 

I was also the 92 intake at Hoedspruit. I had Buys as my corporal. This really brought back some memories.

I remember we had a connection in the kitchen and sunday we organized that big blue milk bags and then the guy sold the milk in litters to us.

Do you guys remember the mirage jet that went down. It was major Baard who trained and hit a bird. We all stood on the parade ground when it happened.

I finished by 1 liner course in hoedspruit and then went to ysterplaat afb for last couple of months.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2015, 00:54 

JohanSmal wrote:
Hi, nice to find this! I was there in 1992, January intake. I remember sleeping in tents in Lyttleton at the Mobilisation base, getting kit at the Gym and them going to Hoedspruit in the bus. I was in 403 sqn, flight 1. Cpl Grobler and Pienaar were our instructors.

Hey Johan, I was with you in the Jan 92 intake I think we were in Hotel bungalow, if you bump into Selna please ask him if all is forgiven :D
Remember the night we went to Drakensig for the concert and the Afkak we received the next day.
I have never had dust caked on my front teeth, that it took the rest of the day to get off.
Good times, although the flight 1 photo of us in front of the hall is now fading, the good memories of how we kak`ed off together hasn't.
take care.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2015, 15:58 

I was in Aug 90 intake under Cpl Raats. Wish my kids could do the same.

Facebook page:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/21983091312/ (Hoedspruit ( Hell Camp))

You can even find cpl Buys there.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2015, 11:31 

corporal Raats did PTI course with
super fast runner
i believe our 46 km run from harties to valahalla he came top 5
great memories

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2015, 11:32 

cstrydom wrote:
I was in Aug 90 intake under Cpl Raats. Wish my kids could do the same.

Facebook page:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/21983091312/ (Hoedspruit ( Hell Camp))

You can even find cpl Buys there.

i was good mates with Cpl Raats
i took the aug '90 intake as well in hoedspruit

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2020, 07:40 

I simply CANNOT believe I have found this site! Especially finding posts about Boston! I was in the January 92 intake(402) under Cpl Du Plooy who was a stand up guy and myself and fellow flight member used to sneak into his room to do bible study with him. I progressed onto the Regimental Instructors course and ended up taking an intake. My stint at Boston is undoubtedly the best and proudest time of my life and the lessons and discipline I took from there are still with me today. I live my life to this code. I still have dreams of Hoedspruit and have wanted to revisit but being in the Cape proves a bridge too far.I have immigrated to the US though. I see that the powers that be havemoved Valhalla to Boston...what a shame!!!A disgrace to hand such a once prestige unit to such a low entity!
I have searched YouTube high and low for any Hoedspruit footage and found the 1991 Instructors Silent Drill. I was in the 1992 Passing Out parade Silent Drill and wish I knew someone who took a video of that.
I hope that this post finds some guys who were there with me and that we can connect. Whether you were before me or after(not many after me as the unit closed end 92 - and in my opinion, the discipline and last hope for young men vanished upon this units closure) I consider you true brothers in arms.

Oh how I miss those days.....

I sure hope this post reaches fellow Hellcampers...

God bless you

Gerard Muller
Regimental Instructors Course 9201