The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:47

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2023, 13:22 

Hi

I am busy compiling information for the archives of Western Cape falconry. In 1990 I was running Project Falconer, researching the control of birds on runways using falconry. My study areas were AFB Ysterplaat, DF Malan, and Wingfield. During that period there was a bird strike involving a Falcon 50. Gen Kat Liebenberg was on this particular flight. On takeoff, gulls were struck which caused a flameout on the one engine whereafter an emergency landing was made at DF Malan. I want to know where I can get the data and information on this bird strike as the incident supported the need for my research but I never personally kept records on this event. Is there perhaps someone who can assist me with information on this incident to include in our archives and/or point me to a source to obtain this information.

Thnx

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2023, 14:26 

Avibus wrote:
Hi

I am busy compiling information for the archives of Western Cape falconry. In 1990 I was running Project Falconer, researching the control of birds on runways using falconry. My study areas were AFB Ysterplaat, DF Malan, and Wingfield. During that period there was a bird strike involving a Falcon 50. Gen Kat Liebenberg was on this particular flight. On takeoff, gulls were struck which caused a flameout on the one engine whereafter an emergency landing was made at DF Malan. I want to know where I can get the data and information on this bird strike as the incident supported the need for my research but I never personally kept records on this event. Is there perhaps someone who can assist me with information on this incident to include in our archives and/or point me to a source to obtain this information.

Thnx

I can only suggest trying to contact the crew. Niel Smit and SAP Potgieter. They took off 02 at Ysterplaat and hit a flock of seagulls on rotation. Early morning departure. Low cloud and IMC.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2023, 22:53 

I connected with Lt Col SAP Potgieter. Unfortunately, the exact date of the incident is still unclear but I calculated that it happened March/ April 1990.

The was the response of Lt Col Potgieter regarding my enquiry:

Baie dankie vir die berig oor die Buccaneer, ek onthou dit nog goed. Maartin Jooste het sy rug beseer met die uitskiet en het later in die lugvervoer lyn gevlieg. Hy het nog later SSO Lugvervoer geword.

My eie noodgeval op Ysterplaat, waarvoor ons nabootser opleiding ontvang het, was vroegoggend met n lae dun laag mis so 100vt bo die aanloopbaan. Die opstyging was op aanloopbaan 02 in die rigting van die huise .
Die huise was duidelik sigbaar maar ons het nie die voels op die aanloopbaan gesien nie. Die medevlieenier Niel Smit het gevlieg en dit was nie die normale YP-WK nie, ons moes H Leer op Pietersburg gaan aflaai en daarna terugkeer na WK.

Met opstyging word daar twee spoede uitgewerk V1 en V2. Indien daar iets gebeur voor V1 kan jy veilig stilhou, na V1 moet jy voortgaan met die opstyging, met die bereiking van V2 styg jy op. Ons was verby V1 toe die voels opvlieg, ons het dadelik die vere geruik en n ligte vibrasie gevoel. Na opstyging het ons die wiele opgetel en die Boorttegnikus, Johan Emhke, het ons meegedeel dat no2 eng se opm onstabiel is. Op my bevel het hy die engin gesny.. Die no 2 sit in die romp van die vliegtuig en as die fan breek kan die romp ernstige skade opdoen. Met nabootser opl is al die gevare van n no 2 probleem aan ons uitgewys. Ons was nog besig met die na opstyg gebooie toe daar n erge vibrasie gevoel word en die tegnikus my meedeel dat no3 se opm baie onstabiel is. Die vibrasie was baie erg en op my bevel het hy no3 gesny.

Daar sit ons toe minus 2 enjins, meer brandstof as normal, (dan hoef ons nie in PB brandstof in te neem nie) in die mislaag, naby die grond met huise onder ons. Nadat ons al die gebooie voltooi het het ons, ( toe nog D F Malan lughawe van ons probleem vertel en versoek om te klim tot bo die mis en dan regsom te draai vir n ILS op Malan. Ek neem aan die hele episode het sowat 15 min geduur maar dit voel soos n dag.

Die klim was uiters stadig en n klimtempo van 100 tot 200 vpm was al wat ons kon doen. Na n “uur” was ons deur die mislaag en was dit baie makliker om asem te haal. Ons het veilig op DF geland en na 35 Esk gegaan. By 35 is gereel dat die passasiers per King Air (baie stadiger) sou verder vlieg.

Hoop dit is voldoende.

Jy is welkom om enige tyd nog vrae te vra en ek sal aanhou poog om een van die bemanning op te spoor.

Groete

Sap

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2023, 07:31 
Site Admin

Great story, thanks Avibus (and Sap).

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2023, 20:55 

The date was 23 May 1991 and the aircraft was ZS-CAQ. The ATC was Rob Russell.

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2023, 21:04 

Thanx a million

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2023, 21:43 

Avibus wrote:
Thanx a million

No worries :-)

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2023, 08:26 
Site Admin

I'm reliably informed that there were two ATC on duty, with the actual person handling the call being Rob's colleague, Andre van der Walt.

A great team effort.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2023, 08:40 

Dean wrote:
I'm reliably informed that there were two ATC on duty, with the actual person handling the call being Rob's colleague, Andre van der Walt.

A great team effort.

Yes, Andre vectored the aircraft in, whilst Rob handled the emergency services for which he was given the Golden Certificate.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2023, 13:53 

Just give perspective on my inquiry on the matter.

My uncle and Genl Jan van Loggenberg were friends through their mutual interest in revamping MG cars. I informally raised my interest with him to conduct research in bird control with falconry. He advised I put in a request in writing which was approved. I then had to approach Cape Nature and was hit with many stumbling blocks as falconry was illegal in the Western Cape. After some frustration, I informed him of the challenges I experienced with CN. In no time my application was approved with CN and conducted Project Falconer. At the time I was the only registered Cape Nature falconer in the Western Cape. I alone could not manage all the airports, thus we decided to form a falconry club. Again CN heckled. Then this bird strike took place and in days Cape Nature had no option to approve a falconry club for the Western Cape.

Sadly politically 1991 the RSA was in political transition and the recommendation for a permanent section of falconers be incorporated into the SAAF flight safety never got traction, but at least a falconry club was now legal in the Western Cape. In time on my website, I will include this incident as part of the archives on Western Cape falconry.

Again thank you for your contributions.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2023, 22:34 

Interesting, thanks. Falconry is on my bucket list, maybe one day ;-)