The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 14 Jul 2020, 22:32

All times are UTC + 2 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 13:22 
Offline

Joined: 21 Mar 2020, 23:22
Posts: 2
H1017412 wrote:
Martin_v_v wrote:
Was standing on Signal hill when the Grippens came straight over.
Does anybody know which Grippens they were?
Cannot make out any serial number on my pictures.


The important part is posting the pictures. :P


Few shots as requested.
Pitty they came over straight over and high.

ImageDSC_8130 by Martin Van Vorstenbosch, on Flickr

This Oryx was also active
ImageDSC_8108 by Martin Van Vorstenbosch, on Flickr

As said, I would be happy to know which Grippens it are.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 13:29 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 09:51
Posts: 983
Location: cape town
Nice photos.
Looks like the Gripen on the right has some sort of surveillance pod

_________________
Roshan Bachan


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2020, 14:53 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2004, 17:19
Posts: 7891
Looks like the Thales Digital Joint Reconnaissance Pod.

_________________
How come every time my ship comes in, I'm at the airport?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2020, 18:44 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 08 Apr 2013, 19:28
Posts: 396
Martin_v_v wrote:
As said, I would be happy to know which Grippens it are.


They were: 3908, 3909, 3916

3908 carried the pod. Wonder where 3916's hard points are used? Over the years she seems to constantly show up without them. I think 3924 also didn't have them at some stage.

_________________
MAMBA

Keep your feet on the ground, and reach for the skies!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 15 May 2020, 16:26 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2007, 14:19
Posts: 1408
Location: Bellville, CPT
mamba wrote:
Martin_v_v wrote:
As said, I would be happy to know which Grippens it are.


They were: 3908, 3909, 3916

3908 carried the pod. Wonder where 3916's hard points are used? Over the years she seems to constantly show up without them. I think 3924 also didn't have them at some stage.



A wild guess from my side - it is probably part of the Gripens in storage and was used for this trip specifically. So they are rotated from what I understand.

What caught my eye more was the fact that the two in formation were carrying two tanks, and the leader only a single tank.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 17 May 2020, 05:03 
Offline

Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 02:11
Posts: 489
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
rynopot wrote:
What caught my eye more was the fact that the two in formation were carrying two tanks, and the leader only a single tank.

Maybe the leader wants to be faster and more manoeuvrable? Every fighter pilot always wants to have the upper hand.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 09:38 
Offline

Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 00:04
Posts: 209
CheetahSupporter wrote:
rynopot wrote:
What caught my eye more was the fact that the two in formation were carrying two tanks, and the leader only a single tank.

Maybe the leader wants to be faster and more manoeuvrable? Every fighter pilot always wants to have the upper hand.


Just a guess, but since the two with wing tanks are D's and the one with the single centre line tank is a C, it may simply have been fuel planning. The two seaters have slightly less internal fuel than the single seaters, so for this particular sortie the difference may have been enough that the D's needed the extra tanks.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 12:36 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 08 Apr 2013, 19:28
Posts: 396
Mfezi wrote:
CheetahSupporter wrote:
rynopot wrote:
What caught my eye more was the fact that the two in formation were carrying two tanks, and the leader only a single tank.

Maybe the leader wants to be faster and more manoeuvrable? Every fighter pilot always wants to have the upper hand.


Just a guess, but since the two with wing tanks are D's and the one with the single centre line tank is a C, it may simply have been fuel planning. The two seaters have slightly less internal fuel than the single seaters, so for this particular sortie the difference may have been enough that the D's needed the extra tanks.


This might link up with what Mfezi said, but in general Squadron service the C's seem to carry mainly the belly tank and the D's mainly the wing tanks.

_________________
MAMBA

Keep your feet on the ground, and reach for the skies!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 23:44 
Offline

Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 02:11
Posts: 489
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Mfezi wrote:
CheetahSupporter wrote:
rynopot wrote:
What caught my eye more was the fact that the two in formation were carrying two tanks, and the leader only a single tank.

Maybe the leader wants to be faster and more manoeuvrable? Every fighter pilot always wants to have the upper hand.


Just a guess, but since the two with wing tanks are D's and the one with the single centre line tank is a C, it may simply have been fuel planning. The two seaters have slightly less internal fuel than the single seaters, so for this particular sortie the difference may have been enough that the D's needed the extra tanks.

Makes sense. I didn't have enough to do with Gripen to spot the difference between C and D from underneath but now I've looked I can see they are different.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC + 2 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group