The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 14 May 2024, 19:26

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 09:21 
Site Admin

Seems like a hangar at AFB Swartkop is on fire. Unconfirmed reports state it may be the hanger where airfield maintenance equipment is stored.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 15:47 
Site Admin

http://www.saairforce.co.za
Quote:
Historical hangar damaged in AFB Swartkop fire

Date: 10 August 2019

By Dean Wingrin

A a general-purpose hangar fire at AFB Swartkop, home to the SAAF Museum, was contained on the morning of Saturday 10 August.

Known as 8 Hangar and part of the original Imperial Gift, the fire was discovered at around 5am on Saturday morning and brought under control by the SAAF fire and rescue unit located on the base.

Fortunately, no injuries were sustained by personnel and no aircraft or historical items were lost as the historical hangar was used as a general storage hangar for airfield maintenance equipment, although the hangar did sustain extensive structural damage.

The Base Fire Services and the Tshwane Fire Services managed to extinguish the fire to prevent further damages to other vehicles and equipment, with Col Trish Schoeman, Officer Commanding of AFB Swartkop, saying that "nobody burned it down on purpose."

AFB Swartkop, established in April 1921, is the South African Air Force's first air force base and home of the SAAF Museum, the SAAF Museum Historic Flight and 17 Squadron flying the A109 LUH and Oryx helicopters.

The Imperial Government gave 100 aircraft (including 30 Avro 504K's, 22 SE.5a's and 48 DH.9's), together with spares, tools, hangars, etc., as a gift to start the Empire's newest air force. As a suitable airfield was required, the farm Zwartkop, near Roberts Heights, was acquired in April 1921, thus becoming South Africa's first air force base. Swartkop is now the headquarters of the SAAF Museum which still uses the original Imperial Gift hangars as exhibition halls.

The majority of the hangars of AFB Swartkops are classified as “heritage structures” and the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) has acknowledged in a statement that the “loss of the hangar is a setback to the South African Air Force and the history of Military Aviation worldwide.”

"Since 2012, the Chief of the South African Air Force, Lt Gen FZ Msimang, has initiated a programme to preserve and promote our Air Force history, which includes former TBVC states and the Armed Wings of Former Liberation Movements in relation to the corresponding political, social and economic dispensation of the country under the theme “embracing our collective heritage”. One of the fundamental elements in nation-building and cultivating a cohesive society is the reconfiguration of the heritage landscape to ensure that it reflects the diversity and the incredible efforts of the unity of our society."

The SANDF also expressed their gratefulness for the prompt response of the City of Tshwane and the Air Force Base Swartkop Fire Services.

The SANDF, with the support of the Tshwane Fire Services, will immediately initiate a Preliminary Investigation and/or a Board of Inquiry to determine the cause and extent of the fire.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2019, 16:29 
Site Admin

Just a had a very interesting phone call. Although the intention was to keep the historical hangars as long as possible, plans are already being made to replace the structure with a new modern structure, embracing the concept of old to new.

Will hopefully be done by February 2020 and the 100th anniversary of the SAAF, but still lots of planning to be done.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2022, 15:29 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Dean wrote:
Just a had a very interesting phone call. Although the intention was to keep the historical hangars as long as possible, plans are already being made to replace the structure with a new modern structure, embracing the concept of old to new.

Will hopefully be done by February 2020 and the 100th anniversary of the SAAF, but still lots of planning to be done.

How was it replaced ?

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2022, 19:21 

The hangar has not been replaced / repaired yet.

The site was cleaned up in 2020 if I can recall correctly.

AFB Swartkop being a heritage site must have the same structure erected as what there was, in other words a new type of building can't be seen next to older type of building.

The Super Frelon and Rooivalk 683 are parked on the old hangar floor where the hangar was.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2022, 19:00 

AT6C wrote:
The Super Frelon and Rooivalk 683 are parked on the old hangar floor where the hangar was.

Yes, saw that on Google earth.... so can I bet money it will never be fixed ?

And was there not also a hanger here ?

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2022, 17:12 

Pepster in response to your question regarding the site where hangar 15 stood, yes the hangar was broken down as there was a huge sinkhole on the south-western side of the hangar.

Sinkholes have become a major issue at Swartkop, Waterkloof and adjacent suburbs.

The old SAAF Gym was also moved to Hoedspruit as the concern was/is sinkholes that have appeared within the perimeter of the old SAAF Gym.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2022, 17:35 

AT6C wrote:
Pepster in response to your question regarding the site where hangar 15 stood, yes the hangar was broken down as there was a huge sinkhole on the south-western side of the hangar.

Sinkholes have become a major issue at Swartkop, Waterkloof and adjacent suburbs.

The old SAAF Gym was also moved to Hoedspruit as the concern was/is sinkholes that have appeared within the perimeter of the old SAAF Gym.

if there is a Sinkhole, you repair it..... it happens all over.

I think at the Dallas airport a Sinkhole appeard on the on taxi way, the had it fixed and all the ground around investigated to prevent it occuring again. Only took two weeks.

I think braking down the airport bit by bit is not the solution....

Or am I wrong.....

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2022, 21:33 
Site Admin

AAD was moved to Ysterplaat in 2010 (and later years) so that the runway, aprons, etc at Waterkloof could be rebuilt as a result of the sinkhole activity.