The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 14 May 2024, 16:46

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2017, 23:50 

I thought I'd take a chance and ask here. Is there anyone who has the 8th AF boxing of the Tamiya 1/48th scale P-51D Mustang who has either already built the kit and didn't use the Petie 2nd decals, or who intends to build it with aftermarket decals and therefore is sure he won't need the Petie 2nd decals? I had a small "accident" involving a drop of Mr Mark Softer, the model lying on its left side while decalling the right side and then picking the model up a bit hastily the next morning. The result was that the "Lt Col John C. Meyer" decal on the canopy frame stayed behind along with a small chunk of Alclad aluminium...

So, I'm looking for only that one single little decal: It is decal number 22 on the kit decal sheet, saying "Lt Col John C. Meyer" in red script, and it is literally the only decal that I need. If it was a stencil, I would have ignored it (or borrowed one from one of my after market sheets), but this one is quite prominent and it really bugs me that it is now missing. Funny enough, it is not shown on the box art, but I found a wartime photograph of the aircraft that clearly shows Lt Col Meyer's name was indeed painted on the canopy frame of Petie 2nd.

Here is the kit that I'm talking about:

I would be extremely grateful if someone would be willing to part with that tiny little decal if he/she does not intend to/did not build this particular aircraft. Of course, I would pay for postage plus a bit extra for your effort, or if you work or live in or near the Centurion or Pretoria East area, I can also come and pick it up. If you can help, please PM me so we can make an arrangement.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 08:36 

Hi Mfezi

I think I can help you on this. I just need to check when I get home tonight if it is the same kit. I am planning to build mine in Mustang Sally colors so won't be using kit decals.

Regards

Herman

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 09:35 

Hi Herman. Thank you very much - let me know when you had a look. I originally intended to build mine using Aeromaster decals that I already had (Yellow Nose Mustangs of the 361st FG), but my little son insisted that I build it with a blue nose, so who was I to argue :)

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 21:18 

HP_Exarkun wrote:
Hi Mfezi

I think I can help you on this. I just need to check when I get home tonight if it is the same kit. I am planning to build mine in Mustang Sally colors so won't be using kit decals.

Regards

Herman

Herman building a 48th scale kit :shock: :shock: :!: :!: :?: :?: No wonder we're having odd weather lately...

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 08:06 

Mfezi wrote:
Hi Herman. Thank you very much - let me know when you had a look. I originally intended to build mine using Aeromaster decals that I already had (Yellow Nose Mustangs of the 361st FG), but my little son insisted that I build it with a blue nose, so who was I to argue :)

Sorry Mfezi, Did not have time to look last night. Had some unexpected guests over, but will definitely look tonight

Mistral wrote:

Herman building a 48th scale kit :shock: :shock: :!: :!: :?: :?: No wonder we're having odd weather lately...

Yip, believe it or not, got some 48th scale kits to build. Busy getting all the Kinetic Mirage kits. Also got the 32nd Italeri as well

Part of my challenge to myself to get out of my box and do something different.

HP

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 09:54 

HP_Exarkun wrote:
Sorry Mfezi, Did not have time to look last night. Had some unexpected guests over, but will definitely look tonight

No problem - I have little time to work on my models during the week anyway. Please let me know once you had a look, though.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 18:41 

HP_Exarkun wrote:
Yip, believe it or not, got some 48th scale kits to build. Busy getting all the Kinetic Mirage kits. Also got the 32nd Italeri as well

Mirages are good in any scale :smt023

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 23:02 

Mfezi wrote:
No problem - I have little time to work on my models during the week anyway. Please let me know once you had a look, though.

Good news. You are in luck. Got it

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2017, 23:03 

Mistral wrote:
Mirages are good in any scale :smt023

Amen.

Got the two of the new 1/72 AMK Kfir's last week. What beautiful kits.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2017, 14:03 

HP_Exarkun wrote:
Good news. You are in luck. Got it

Excellent! I sent you a PM.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2017, 20:29 

You a happy camper and got the decal on yet? :D