The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 20:40

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Mirage GB on BM
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017, 21:27 

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/594-mirage-gb/

Post subject: Re: Mirage GB on BM
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2017, 15:16 

Good to see the beautiful Dassault lineage getting attention. However, far too much RAAF coverage and not enough SAAF. :?

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 15:07 

Mistral wrote:
Good to see the beautiful Dassault lineage getting attention. However, far too much RAAF coverage and not enough SAAF. :?

I think It is time for a Mirage GB of our own?

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 08:31 

I'm in - indeed, I'm currently tackling the 48th scale Kittyhawk F1. Contrary to all the doom and gloom, it's not a bad kit and way better than the old Esci one...

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 10:26 

Mistral wrote:
I'm in - indeed, I'm currently tackling the 48th scale Kittyhawk F1. Contrary to all the doom and gloom, it's not a bad kit and way better than the old Esci one...

Are you doing the single seater? Hope you'll fix that awful nose they gave it! Either way, I'd love to see pics of your build !!

I'm busy with a twin stick on the above group build and am also finding the kit to be better than expected. They seem to have got the nose more or less right on it, so cannot understand why they got it so terribly wrong on the single seater :-k

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 14:40 

Mistral wrote:

good to hear, can't wait to start my KH F-1. I need to get a few more.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 17:36 

OK so when does this gb start?
Have anb Italeri F1 I can do

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 21:20 

MARS wrote:
Mistral wrote:

Marc, Jix has a stash at around R1,000 each.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 21:29 

avgass wrote:
Mistral wrote:

Are you doing the single seater? Hope you'll fix that awful nose they gave it! Either way, I'd love to see pics of your build !!

I'm busy with a twin stick on the above group build and am also finding the kit to be better than expected. They seem to have got the nose more or less right on it, so cannot understand why they got it so terribly wrong on the single seater :-k

Avgass I'll post some pics once I decide who to replace Photobucket with :? . I took off the upper nose droop with a heavy dose of sanding stick. Looks much better. Generally the fit of the kit is good with one or two minor gripes :
The holes in the fuselage halves for the wing location tabs need to be opened up. The right wing sits too high and the left too low.
We all know the issue of the inboard leading edge flap being fixed in the up position.
The main gear legs are too long which results in the fuselage being parallel to the ground. I cut a portion of each leg out and glued the remaining halves with a brass rod for additional strength.
The intakes are too wide and are not curved at the corners. I used the Pavla resin ones which seemed to fit OK.
The kit and Pavla intake movable "mice" are not correct for SAAF F1s. The SAAF configuration has much longer "mice".
Contrary to what others have written on the other forums, I like the photoetch spoilers. They fit neatly in place and look really realistic.

Anyway, I could easily go out and buy another one

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 22:15 

Mistral wrote:
avgass wrote:
Mistral wrote:

Avgass I'll post some pics once I decide who to replace Photobucket with :? . I took off the upper nose droop with a heavy dose of sanding stick. Looks much better. Generally the fit of the kit is good with one or two minor gripes :
The holes in the fuselage halves for the wing location tabs need to be opened up. The right wing sits too high and the left too low.
We all know the issue of the inboard leading edge flap being fixed in the up position.
The main gear legs are too long which results in the fuselage being parallel to the ground. I cut a portion of each leg out and glued the remaining halves with a brass rod for additional strength.
The intakes are too wide and are not curved at the corners. I used the Pavla resin ones which seemed to fit OK.
The kit and Pavla intake movable "mice" are not correct for SAAF F1s. The SAAF configuration has much longer "mice".
Contrary to what others have written on the other forums, I like the photoetch spoilers. They fit neatly in place and look really realistic.

Anyway, I could easily go out and buy another one

Thanks for the pointers. I'll have to pay some attention to the wings then, which I didn't know about.

As far as the gear legs go, I was planning on drilling out the semi circular location holes and angling the legs further forward. They seem to be postitioned at the wrong angle which contributes to the incorrect stance of the jet. I'll see how that turns out and shorten the gear if necessary.

Being a Spanish jet, I won't have to do a thing with the mice. The only other issue I might worry about is rounding the corners of the intakes, depending on how lazy I am feeling at the time.

I've uploaded dual sets of pictures to Postimage and NickPic (I read they had a go at PB for doing what they did so my hope is they don't plan a similar move). So far so good with both of those so recommended. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 16:41 

Mistral wrote:
MARS wrote:
Mistral wrote:

Thanks saw them on Saturday.

BTW, how is the RZ coming along?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 19:24 

MARS wrote:
Mistral wrote:
MARS wrote:

Thanks saw them on Saturday.

BTW, how is the RZ coming along?

Interesting you ask. It was on the shelf awaiting me figuring out the tamiya mix of blue/grey. As it was, I got my finger out of the proverbial you know what and did around 20 test mixes for the F1 blue/grey this evening. By golly, I think I got it. Next to try out on the F1. Will then tackle the RZ at the same time with two of the colours...

Gimme a call next time you head north of the boerwors curtain and I'll meet you there.