The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:58

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2015, 12:07 

I see this is just released in 1/72. \:D/ I don’t even want to know the cost of this baby with the weak Rand will be…. :roll:
With a length of 401mm and wingspan of 497mm she’s going to be big. Only 352 parts… :twisted:
http://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/aircraft/world-war-ii/id/04877.html
“The box the kit comes in is large, giving the first hint of the size of this new model. It is also a newly tooled model for Revell and has lots of excellent detail both inside and out. Not only the internal bulkheads and the detail in the cockpit, but also in the cargo compartment, which itself has separate parts for the interior walls and the seat with the webbing backrests to fit along the sides of the fuselage. External detailing is nicely done, and that includes both the four engines and the undercarriage bays and oleo legs themselves. There is a lot to the build, and you will have to pre-plan your painting sequence to get everything ready for each stage. It may give even more of a clue if I point out the use of no less than 98 steps in the build sequence on the instruction booklet. You will need a lot of weight hidden away in the nose to get it to sit on the undercarriage correctly, though they do include a support for the tail section in case you need it.

Two options are provided for in terms of colours and markings. The first is the most colourful, thanks to panels of dayglo orange, and that is with the USAF in 1949. The second is a plainer finish, but perhaps will be most popular for featuring markings as a US Army Troop Carrier involved in the Berlin Airlift from Wiesbarden AB during the winter of 1948/49. Whichever one you go for, lots of transfers to apply, including many tiny stencils.

There is room to add even finer detail to this one using aftermarket sets which are already on the market, but if you prefer to limit yourself to the plastic kit itself, this one has lots of detailing both inside and out which Revell have done very nicely.”

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2015, 13:21 

Thats a LOT of detail for a 1/72. 50 Euros R700 before duties , shipping and VAT.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2015, 21:40 

Lekker, can't wait for this one. Think of how quickly you can blow R700 on junk food. So, yes, it's expensive but at 300+ parts count, should be value for money. :D

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2015, 08:00 
Site Admin

Hey Mistral, should keep you going for at least a week. :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2015, 11:39 

Mine on pre-order!! Can't wait for it - looks a beauty

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 18:25 

Dean wrote:
Hey Mistral, should keep you going for at least a week. :lol:

Hmmm, not sure at the moment. Busy with the Trumpeter Tu-142. It's rather large and I keep bumping things over when I turn the model around :shock: