The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 04 May 2024, 08:20

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 17:39 
Site Admin

1 February 2018
Quote:
New Master-At-Arms for the Navy

By Dean Wingrin

After 40 years in uniform, South African Navy Master-At-Arms, Senior Chief Warrant Officer Pragasen Moodley has retired, handing over the highest position that a Non-Commissioned Officer can occupy to Senior Chief Warrant Officer Matee Joseph Molefe.

At a Change of Office Parade held on Thursday morning at Naval Base Simon’s Town, SCWO Molefe become the first African incumbent of the position of the Master-At-Arms (MAA) for the South African Navy (SAN).

In his address to the Parade, Rear Admiral Guy Jamieson (Deputy Chief of the Navy) noted that “NCOs are the backbone of the military and are responsible for training, leading and taking care of ratings.”

“They are responsible for ensuring that their troops are prepared to function as an effective military unit,” he continued.
The Master-At-Arms is responsible for, amongst many tasks, the overall monitoring and improvement of disciplinary standards, morale, personnel well-being and ensuring high standards of military professionalism.

The Master-At-Arms sits on the Navy Command Council, the highest decision making body in the Navy. Jamieson explained that he (or she) is not just a passive member, “but is expected to actively participate in that Council and contribute to the strategic direction of the Navy.”

“Above all,” Jamieson continued, “he or she represents the inputs of the most precious assets of any fighting organisation, that of its people.”

Moodley, who joined the SA Navy in January 1978, said that parade may mean an end to his career, but that it was a “significant new beginning” for Molefe.

“He now carries the weight of effective representation of the other ranks in fulfilling his mandate as the principle advisor to the Chief of the South African Navy on issues of morale, welfare, job satisfaction, discipline and ceremonial in representing the other ranks,” Moodley said.

Moodley has served at various posts prior to being MAA, starting his career as a member of the South African Marines. He served as a coxswain, Boat Master and Instructor as well as participating in various international maritime exercises, both at home and overseas. He also attended the United States Senior Enlisted Course at Rhode Island, Newport in 1996 and participated in the Global Maritime Senior Enlisted Symposium, hosted by the US Navy and Coast Guard in Hawaii, where he was elected to lead the delegates from the rest of Africa by his African shipmates. He is the first MAA that has served period of appointments as a MAA of a unit (SAS Wingfield), a naval base (Simon’s Town), Fleet and MAA of the SA Navy.

Looking back over the years, Moodley says he has serviced with some very professional and dedicated officers However, when reflecting over the past 40 years in uniform, the one thing that sticks in Moodley’s mind is the honour and privilege of being a bearer of the coffin of democratic South Africa’s first President and Commander in Chief, Nelson Mandela.

Molefe, a member of the ANC military Umkhonto We Sizwe, was integrated into the South African National Defence (SANDF) in 1994. His experience includes serving as a radar operator on strike and being appointed Operations Room Manager onboard the SAS Mendi in 2003 (deploying to Germany as part of the delivery crew), Coxswain onboard the SAS Isandlwana in 2009, MAA at SAS Simonsberg in 2014 and Fleet MAA in 2016.

Molefe says the new position means a lot to him. “I worked hard to get here, I displayed myself as a professional, disciplined sailor and motivated.”

As for what he expects from his NCO colleagues and other ranks, he says: “I’m looking for their full support in order for me to execute my duties.”

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 17:39 
Site Admin

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2018, 23:37 

Looking very smart in white uniforms :smt023

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2018, 17:05 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Congratulations to Senior Chief Warrant Officer Matee Joseph Molefe. :smt023 =D> Nicely captured Dean, as your posts record these historic occasions. Here's wishing Senior Chief Warrant Officer Pragasen Moodley a happy retirement. :D

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2018, 20:04 

The cape sure is looking bone dry!

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2018, 09:37 

BZ uncle "Killer" Moodley! :mrgreen: =D>