The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 09:10

All times are UTC + 2 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: SA Navy - Reserve Force
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2013, 09:56 
Offline

Joined: 27 Apr 2013, 09:43
Posts: 407
Location: Hermanus
How active is the Reserve Force of the Navy
Any needs for a young Midshipman?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2013, 14:35 
Offline
Honorary Order of the Trommel
User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 12:34
Posts: 2008
I'm no expert, but I've heard that the Navy Base in Durban is recommissioned to handle the former Strikecraft operating in the OPV role...and they are looking for former strikecraft guys for patrols. May just be an opening depending on your experience/skills?

Also the DAFF ships (Fisheries protection) have been short crewed for a long time - again maybe an opening now that are being handed back from the Navy to DAFF. (Presumeably Cape based in the main).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 05:22 
Offline

Joined: 26 Sep 2010, 14:58
Posts: 49
http://www.rfdiv.mil.za/urtp.html
Might be what you are looking for.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 09:54 
Offline

Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 11:50
Posts: 4089
Actually the people who crewed the DAFF ships are probably first in line to go to Durban, so I doubt there will be many new openings.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2013, 12:48 
Offline
Honorary Order of the Trommel
User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 12:34
Posts: 2008
Quote:
Actually the people who crewed the DAFF ships are probably first in line to go to Durban, so I doubt there will be many new openings.


Martiens - if this is the case - then there would be openings on the DAFF ships if existing Navy crew transferred out as envisaged. In any event, be encouraged as the Navy is very understaffed by all accounts - and I am sure that with your interest - you will find what you are looking for. Try that link wicked110 posted. Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2013, 16:39 
Offline

Joined: 03 Mar 2008, 08:21
Posts: 1580
Doug wrote:
Quote:
Actually the people who crewed the DAFF ships are probably first in line to go to Durban, so I doubt there will be many new openings.


Martiens - if this is the case - then there would be openings on the DAFF ships if existing Navy crew transferred out as envisaged. In any event, be encouraged as the Navy is very understaffed by all accounts - and I am sure that with your interest - you will find what you are looking for. Try that link wicked110 posted. Good luck.



The navy is handing the daff ships back. How daff crews them is there problem. And maby of the navy guys on the daff ships come from the patrol squdron.

The reserv force dose do a lot of call ups.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2013, 18:22 
Offline

Joined: 27 Apr 2013, 09:43
Posts: 407
Location: Hermanus
I was actually asking the question on behalf of my son

He joined the Navy in 2011, did his basic training at Saldanha, was selected for Officers course and completed Officers course at Gordon's Bay
Went to the Military Academy in 2012, and did not get his contract renewed at the end of 2012
He is on the Reserve Force strength, but up to now, no call up
Some of his mates that also did not get contract have been called for reserve duty

He desperately wants to follow a career in the Navy, but is not getting the opportunity

I tried to talk him into going to the British Navy or even the Australian Navy, but he wants to serve South Africa

Strange, but true


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2013, 02:31 
Offline

Joined: 03 Mar 2008, 08:21
Posts: 1580
Martiens wrote:
I was actually asking the question on behalf of my son

He joined the Navy in 2011, did his basic training at Saldanha, was selected for Officers course and completed Officers course at Gordon's Bay
Went to the Military Academy in 2012, and did not get his contract renewed at the end of 2012
He is on the Reserve Force strength, but up to now, no call up
Some of his mates that also did not get contract have been called for reserve duty

He desperately wants to follow a career in the Navy, but is not getting the opportunity

I tried to talk him into going to the British Navy or even the Australian Navy, but he wants to serve South Africa

Strange, but true



Has he phoned the reserv force people? I know a few midshipmen that are reserve force.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2013, 06:47 
Offline

Joined: 27 Apr 2013, 09:43
Posts: 407
Location: Hermanus
Twice a week for the last two months
I even took him through to Simonstown to see a Captain (Navy)
Every week just more promises to phone back next week

I spoke to a Lt Cmdr last night that will try and find out what's going on

The system is not working well [-o<


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2013, 17:00 
Offline

Joined: 26 Sep 2010, 14:58
Posts: 49
What mustering is he as an officer? Depending on his branch he might be able to apply for permanent force positions. Does he have his comission?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2013, 18:17 
Offline

Joined: 27 Apr 2013, 09:43
Posts: 407
Location: Hermanus
Mustering: Combat
Still Midshipman, no commission yet, must have Diploma or Degree afaik


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 06:52 
Offline

Joined: 27 Apr 2013, 09:43
Posts: 407
Location: Hermanus
This section of the SANDF is dead, not anything happening at the Navy reserve force?

My son has applied for a job on an Australian leisure cruise ship, and was accepted as a Scuba dive instructor, 4 500 Aus dollars a month, roughly R 41 000.00 per month

The sad thing is, he want's to be in the SA Navy, but sad to say, he is not good enough or too white

Our son is going to leave our shores to find a living over the waters, it is so sad for us as a family, but we hope for the best


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2013, 08:09 
Offline

Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 14:21
Posts: 2335
Martiens wrote:
This section of the SANDF is dead, not anything happening at the Navy reserve force?

My son has applied for a job on an Australian leisure cruise ship, and was accepted as a Scuba dive instructor, 4 500 Aus dollars a month, roughly R 41 000.00 per month

The sad thing is, he want's to be in the SA Navy, but sad to say, he is not good enough or too white

Our son is going to leave our shores to find a living over the waters, it is so sad for us as a family, but we hope for the best

May I wish your son every success and happiness in his new appointment. I know he will prosper, surrounded by people who were also chosen on merit, for their skills and ability, and because they want to work. The cruise industry employs many South Africans, all of whom wanted a life where merit and hard work is recognised - not failure and hopelessness. Some years ago we cruised on Cunard's Queen Mary 2 and 75% of the staff running and working the indoor Health and Spa facilities were South African - we had lovely conversations in Afrikaans!

A whole new world of opportunity awaits him :!:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2013, 20:11 
Offline

Joined: 27 Apr 2013, 09:43
Posts: 407
Location: Hermanus
It was a scam :evil:

Bloody agents


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2013, 07:11 
Offline

Joined: 27 Apr 2013, 09:43
Posts: 407
Location: Hermanus
Hope it's some good news
Might be called up for 180 days reserve force from 01-02-2014
99.9 % - got a call from Simonstown yesterday


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 2 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group