The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:56

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 19:40 

Thanks Dean, great pics.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2017, 23:44 

Airfire wrote:
Romeo Yankee wrote:
GLF4 wrote:
If it's a MIL heli, I'm interested :) If not, then I'll stick to Airliners and biz!!

If anything it will most likely be a Ka-32

KA-32 is the civil version..KA-31 Naval..with more powerful Klimov TV3-117VMAR x 2 powerplants,and other improvements for naval operations.

Correct. it was late.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 08:03 

Mistral wrote:
I've always been interested in the difference in naval vessel design between Russia and the West. The Russian ships are cluttered with a myriad of weapons systems whereas the western vessels seem to be very clean on the deck, and therefore, apparently under armed.

Same here Mistral. The Russian vessels always seem packed with weapons and equipment. I think the west is better at "miniaturising" their missile motors etc so often they can be hidden below deck and they became obsessed with stealth a long time ago. Or maybe the Russians don't care, who knows :lol: They just build them big.

I have never really liked the look of most Russian naval vessels but some of their newer surface combatants look great. Take a look at the Admiral Gorshkov class frigate, it's a stunner. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_G ... ss_frigate

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 10:46 

Durbanite wrote:
Mistral wrote:
I've always been interested in the difference in naval vessel design between Russia and the West. The Russian ships are cluttered with a myriad of weapons systems whereas the western vessels seem to be very clean on the deck, and therefore, apparently under armed.

Same here Mistral. The Russian vessels always seem packed with weapons and equipment. I think the west is better at "miniaturising" their missile motors etc so often they can be hidden below deck and they became obsessed with stealth a long time ago. Or maybe the Russians don't care, who knows :lol: They just build them big.

I have never really liked the look of most Russian naval vessels but some of their newer surface combatants look great. Take a look at the Admiral Gorshkov class frigate, it's a stunner. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiral_G ... ss_frigate

Some similarity to Meko class vessels....she's a looker though

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 13:03 

vlamgat16 wrote:
Durbanite wrote:
Mistral wrote:

Some similarity to Meko class vessels....she's a looker though

The "pattern" for the current generation of multirole frigates is quite well established - even the USN's Littoral Combat Ships have a similar configuration, though the Independence-class is unusual with a trimaran hull.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 19:10 

When do they leave?
Want to visit them tomorrow

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 19:20 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Martiens wrote:
When do they leave?
Want to visit them tomorrow

If you are talking about the Russians...they have already departed.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 21:12 

:(