The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:21

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2016, 11:14 

I have obtained a copy of the article in Jane's 360 about the mid-life upgrade project. It's a short article without much detail but mentions the major systems and components to be replaced or improved.
Get it here - https://1drv.ms/b/s!AvtpFylf_VMthBRqxQwdsGpNDsWl

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2016, 15:01 
Site Admin

Thanks RtD, appreciated. :smt023

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2016, 21:28 

Thanks Roger - this makes for interesting reading.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2016, 17:01 

Sounds like a lot of work.
Wonder where they are finding the money, especially with 6 or 7 new ships due to arrive in the next couple of years!
Bow thrusters...wow. That alone will be a huge conversion!

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2016, 18:48 

Rosh wrote:
Sounds like a lot of work.
Wonder where they are finding the money, especially with 6 or 7 new ships due to arrive in the next couple of years!
Bow thrusters...wow. That alone will be a huge conversion!

That's surely why it's a 10 year project, to spread the cost.
The current economic slump has to end, the world can't operate on a permanent "slow down".

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2016, 23:07 

Quote:
"Anti-surface warfare is the primary role for the frigates, and we'll update or replace the current
Exocet [Block 2] anti-ship missile system" Capt Girsa noted.

Block 3 Exocet, or may there be some substance to the reports on Brahmos being touted to the SAN? The mind boggles how Brahmos launchers would even fit on deck? Brahmos is almost double the length and 5 times the weight of Exocet.

Another question - how on earth are they going to increase the crew accommodation to more than double the original design? Are they going to select only dwarf sailors? #-o Whatever happened to the much vaunted original idea that given extensive automation the ships don't actually need a large crew?

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2016, 08:02 
Site Admin

Roger the Dodger wrote:
Another question - how on earth are they going to increase the crew accommodation to more than double the original design? Are they going to select only dwarf sailors? #-o Whatever happened to the much vaunted original idea that given extensive automation the ships don't actually need a large crew?

Whilst the frigates were designed to use lean manning concepts, the actual accommodation provided is more than that required for the lean manning concept. I'm sure that the figure of 87 crew excludes the SAAF/flight department crew, MRS and Health Services members, etc, for which plenty of living space was provided. I think the Valour class now has a crew compliment of 167. Many of the other Meko operators are also manning their vessels with many more than the minimum number of crew required, utilising numbers very similar to ours, such as Australia (163), Greece (173), Portugal (180) and Turkey (180).

Another reason for the increased crew figures is that the Navy needs to give their new recruits sea days for training and qualification purposes. The Strike Craft (OPVs) are not large enough in terms of crew or at sea enough to provide the desperately needed experience to the new sailors.