Friederich Lürssen pioneered and developed the semi-planing hull in the first fast military motor boats of the early 1900s and by 1916 was delivering motor torpedo boats to the German navy. During the interwar period the yard built many fast pleasure craft - especially for the American market and it was a 1924 motor yacht built for an American which formed the basis of the famous S-boats (which the ill-informed call E-boats). The S-boat hull shape's hydrodynamics were so well established that the design still influences many fast attack craft. While many only think of Lürssen as a fast boat pioneer - they also built the first Voith-Schneider driven minesweepers in 1932 and were the lead yard for the R-boote of WW2. Whereas yards in countries outside of the German sphere of influence concentrated on planing hulls - Vospers and British Power Boat being two of them - that particular hull form starts taking a knocking from rough waters far sooner than the semi-planing hull.
Our strike craft are basically the Lürssen FPB 57 hull. The "57" denoting 57 metres in nominal length.
This hull form has served, since the 1970s, in more than 300 FAC built in many yards around the world. Originally Lürssen was to have built the Israeli SAAR4 class based on this hull - and indeed took a lead in the internal design - but it turned out that Israel Shipyards could give a cheaper quote and the Israeli government was happier that the things got built locally in case of arms boycotts. The famous French Cherbourg missile boats (SAAR1, SAAR2 and SAAR3 classes) were Lürssen vessels - the FPB-45 hull. Germany had a complicated trade agreement with France which involved the French in building the Type 148 at CM de Normandie in Cherbourg for the German Navy.as part of the deal. Which is why the identical Israeli SAARs were built there too. Lürssen itself at the time did not in any case have spare capacity as it was involved in too much work for the German and other navies to take on the job. Even at Israel shipyards the entire engine room and propulsion train was the responsibility of German companies which delivered that section of the ship.
In modern weapons manufacture, especially as it relates to ships, there is no longer much chance of a "single source" shipyard as in days of yore. So many pieces come from so many countries it almost makes going to war impossible. I once penned this for someone:
Warrior class strike craft - a truly international vessel:
The entire engine room and drive train was supplied by, fitted by and guaranteed by MTU of Friedrichshafen. All items in both enginerooms - main engines, gearboxes, generators, AC achinery, fresh water generators, fire pumps, venturi units, fuel pumps, compressors were made in Germany as were the propellers, propeller shafts, P-brackets, rudders, exhausts, changeover flaps, etc. The only major non-German items were the two main electrical switchboards which were made in France.
The static and dynamic inverters were however German. The steering gear was Swedish, located in the tiller flat. So was the active cathodic protection - located on the hull and in the aft heads.
The forward and aft gunbay equipment was likewise Oto-Melara of Italy. In the CIC the intertial platform and vertical gyro was supplied by Plath and Anshutz of Germany. The main plotting table was by a Dutch firm, whose name momentarily escapes me. The radios were mainly French (Elmer) and German as were the Antenna (Rhode & Schwartz). Some of the internal comms nets were USA (Rockwell) as was the emergency lighting equipment.
The EW suite was Israeli as was the Dagon Radar - which was an Israeli development (with French assistance) of the Thomson-CSF Neptune. The Orion 10 gunnery radar was Italian as was the Officine Galileo optical director. The WAMO was partly Israeli partly Italian and the Missile Control Unit was Israeli. Of course the entire Gabriel missile and it's systems were originally a South African design - but in the mid sixties the SA Navy showed no interest so the developer took the whole shooting match to Israel (which had experience of being on the wrong end of Komar and Osa missile boats) where development cash was forthcoming. Even the lavatories were French! So largely only the hull was really Israeli made and that with Iscor steel plates! The explosive bonded strip
connecting the steel hull to the aluminium superstructure was USA though!