The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 05:58

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 06:40 

Hi Guys,

As my first post i would just like to say hi.What a great site you have created and contributed to.I have really enjoyed looking through the old posts.

I found this site while looking for info on the daphne subs used by the South African Navy.My dad was on the subs back in the day and i would like to build him a scale model of approx 1 meter long.I'm looking for anyone who might have access to a set of scale plans of the daphne subs that would be able to help me.

If someone else has already asked this on the forum i apologise.

Thanks

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 07:13 
Site Admin

Welcome SAFFAGUY, please keep us updated on youbuild ... with pics!

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2013, 23:40 

Welcome SAFFAGUY :smt006

PM me your email address .. I've got 10 .tiff files which I downloaded from the French Navy historical site many moons ago. They are technical drawings including measurements & hull cross-sections, which should assist you. The site though, has since disappeared into a WWW black hole.

The drawings are massive . ie around 22000 pixels, but only around 7mb in total.

erm .. this off course assumes that the SA Daphne's were no different to the Frenchie ones ... 8-[

Cheers

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2013, 04:56 

Kremlin wrote:
Welcome SAFFAGUY :smt006

PM me your email address .. I've got 10 .tiff files which I downloaded from the French Navy historical site many moons ago. They are technical drawings including measurements & hull cross-sections, which should assist you. The site though, has since disappeared into a WWW black hole.

The drawings are massive . ie around 22000 pixels, but only around 7mb in total.

erm .. this off course assumes that the SA Daphne's were no different to the Frenchie ones ... 8-[

Cheers

Basic layout would be the same, but the sytems were a llot of the time local.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2013, 06:01 

Hi guys sorry for the delay in response.My wife just gave birth to our 3rd son 2 days ago.Been at her side in hospital.

I sure will keep you all updated on progress as i complete the model.Its purely from the exterior,so wont have any interior seen.That would be a seriously long build doing all that detailing of the interior.Would look pretty cool though.

Kremlin i will pm you my email address now.

Any pics of the boats in dry dock in the 70's.Dont want to accidently model exterior features that were added post 1975.

Cheers

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2013, 10:38 

To my knowledge there were some differences between the SA and the French boats externally the most obvious being the tracker dome (passive array) beneath the forward torpedo tubes which featured on the SA boats.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2013, 22:52 

SAFFAGUY wrote:
... My wife just gave birth to our 3rd son 2 days ago.Been at her side in hospital.
CONGRATS to you and the Mrs :smt023 :D :drinkers:

Email is winding its way through cyberspace towards the land of Oz.

Cheers

EDIT: I've sent you four emails ... :D

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2013, 23:54 

For anybody else interested in modelling the SA Daphne's. Here are two articles I saved from the old IPMSSA site. :D

I've combined them into a pdf.

http://www.groundshout.co.za/misc/daphne/DAPHNE%20articles%20from%20IPMSA.pdf

Now where's that crusty old sea dog "Big E" .. this old puddle pirate business is so up his alley 8-[

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 12:44 

Thanks Kremlin for all the emails.I look forward to opening them properly.Been trying to look at them on my smartphone at the hospital.A 4 inch screen doesnt quite make it easy to appreciate a scale drawing.Looking forward to opening them on my pc.

Has anyone else done a similar model that we could all see? I want to build a glass case for it to sit in once complete.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 13:21 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Some old pics of SA Daphne Subs at Simonstown Navy Festival.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2013, 18:08 

SAFFAGUY wrote:
Thanks Kremlin for all the emails.I look forward to opening them properly.Been trying to look at them on my smartphone at the hospital.A 4 inch screen doesnt quite make it easy to appreciate a scale drawing.Looking forward to opening them on my pc.

Has anyone else done a similar model that we could all see? I want to build a glass case for it to sit in once complete.

I would get in contaced with the navy musem in simmons town. They may have model or know who has a model next best bet would be the submarin vlotelia they could all so have a model. There are a number of models in the navy but I have actualy never seen one of a sub. I never looked though.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2013, 05:14 

Kremlin wrote:
Now where's that crusty old sea dog "Big E" .. this old puddle pirate business is so up his alley 8-[

Been wondering myself.
I'm missing his inputs. :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2013, 04:34 

I actually emailed the simons town naval museum about two years ago in connection with scale plans for the subs.Got absolutely no reply at all.Would have thought they would be falling over themselves to help people model our past naval heritage.

Anyone else have any walk around pics of the subs .Looking for as many angles of the subs as possible to make sure i get shapes and items correct.

thanks

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2013, 06:06 

SAFFAGUY wrote:
I actually emailed the simons town naval museum about two years ago in connection with scale plans for the subs.Got absolutely no reply at all.Would have thought they would be falling over themselves to help people model our past naval heritage.

Anyone else have any walk around pics of the subs .Looking for as many angles of the subs as possible to make sure i get shapes and items correct.

thanks

The people there probably don't know what email is :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

try and get in to contaced with the guys who run the SS99 tour most of them actually sailed the thing

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2013, 06:39 

Hi team

Like Saffaguy my father was also on the submarines as one of the original crew. I too am contemplating building a 1/50 scale model out of aluminium.

I would also like to get a copy of the drawings you managed to get from the French web site. Is it possible to get the drawings you have mentioned below. Interestingly I did my national service in the SAAF and I am a commercial pilot ( non current) and I found you site looking for sub drawings. That is lateral thinking.

cheers