The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:20

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2020, 19:09 

Trump cards :smt023

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2020, 17:26 

Not a naval vessel by definition, however the Guardia Civil (Civil Guard) in Spain is organised as a military force charged with various policing and surveillance duties on land, sea and air. Spain with its long coastline at the entrance to the Mediterranean Sea, is a major transit point for contraband, migrants from Africa, undeclared goods evading customs and excise duties etc.

The RIO GUADALENTIN (M39) is a Rodman 66 class boat, used in the coastal surveillance role, of which Spain has 11 in use. Various other marine vessels are used by the Guardia Civil. The RIO GUADALENTIN is based at Cartagena on Spain's Mediterranean coast. The Rodman 66 class weighs in at 36 tons and is capable of 30 knots.

Picture taken late afternoon with a setting sun, hence the reddish glow on the water, as the vessel made for the port entrance and a stint of duty on the coastline.

PostPosted: 15 May 2020, 18:31 

A contribution from a trip last year to Dubrovnik. The Croatian Navy's yacht Ucka.

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 09:31 

The decommissioned French nuclear powered ballistic missile submarine LE REDOUTABLE in its drydock setting in Cherbourg, France. This submarine is a major drawcard for the naval museum in Cherbourg. If arriving in port by cruise ship the museum is conveniently located next to the cruise ship terminal. Entry to the museum comes at about R400 and includes entry to the submarine.
LE REDOUTABLE was the first in class, of six ballistic missile submarines, for the Marine Nationale and commissioned in 1971. It was withdrawn from service in 1991 and has been displayed at the museum since 2002.
The picture further shows Cunard's Queen Elizabeth top left and the naval museum top right.

Le Redoutable

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 10:25 

Tally-ho wrote:
LE REDOUTABLE was the first in class, of six ballistic missile submarines, for the Marine Nationale and commissioned in 1971. It was withdrawn from service in 1991 and has been displayed at the museum since 2002.
Only 20 years in service? That seems ridiculously short for something that expensive. Maybe it's just 3rd world countries that have to make equipment last.

PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 10:37 
Site Admin

Nice!

PostPosted: 30 May 2020, 05:05 

Super pic, thing is quite large! I do chortle at the name - it's like someone putting "le" in front of any English word to make it sound French.

PostPosted: 30 May 2020, 09:11 
Site Admin

Did they cut a large hole in the side to make it easier for visitors to enter?

PostPosted: 31 May 2020, 07:55 

Dean wrote:
Did they cut a large hole in the side to make it easier for visitors to enter?

I think the side entrance is man-made. I did not visit the museum or submarine, as we went on another excursion and had to be content with a quick walkabout on the outside. As we docked I saw this submarine from the decks of QE and a quick Google told me what I was going to miss. :roll: :( :)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2020, 16:19 

Spanish Navy (Armada Española) METEORO P41 - the lead ship of the Meteoro class off-shore patrol vessels. Taken in Las Palmas, Canary Islands, off the west coast of Africa. A total of 12 is planned for the Spanish Navy, 6 have been delivered. Early morning rising sun reflecting off the hull. Las Palmas is the Meteoro's home base, the port is used by both naval and commercial vessels.

Meteoro - October 2017

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2021, 09:44 

Estonia Navy EML ADMIRAL COWAN (ex Royal Navy ship) is one of three Sandown class minehunters in service with the Estonian Navy. The picture was taken in Tallinn, Estonia, from our cruise ship during a visit to the Baltic States. Early morning, foggy and damp, long shot and full crop, hence the so-so quality.

Note:-
A further two of these Sandown class vessels (also ex Royal Navy) will join the Ukrainian Navy in the near future. The acquisition was made public during the recent deployment and visit of HMS Defender to the Black Sea and the Ukrainian naval base at Odessa.

Estonia Navy EML Admiral Cowan

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2021, 01:55 

Nice - I've visited Estonia. An interesting little country with some Estonian words being rather quirky if read through an English speaking eye.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2021, 07:06 

Right you are.

All three of the Baltic States provide a good visitor experience. Klaipeda (former Memel during Prussian times) the port city of Lithuania, is tops for me. And reasonable English is widely spoken.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2021, 01:46 

Tally-ho wrote:
Right you are.

All three of the Baltic States provide a good visitor experience. Klaipeda (former Memel during Prussian times) the port city of Lithuania, is tops for me. And reasonable English is widely spoken.

Had planned on a few hours in Vilnius en route to Tallinn but had a few too many shots in Warsaw the night before and missed my flight! :roll: