The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:25

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2018, 06:48 

One continuous shot of the SMFKB military train heading into San Luis Obispo, CA after training exercises at Camp Roberts on 3/20/18. Lead by Union Pacific 4567, Union Pacific 4859, Kansas City Southern 3902, Kansas City Southern 3909, and Union Pacific 2621 locomotives.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2018, 20:56 

Our rail system (Spoornet) has lost/disposed of the capability to carry such loads. The 2012/15 Defence Review briefly touched on the topic.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2018, 21:11 

Hi Guys,

I wonder how long that convoy was? :shock:

Hey Roger,

Roger the Dodger wrote:
Our rail system (Spoornet) has lost/disposed of the capability to carry such loads.

Could you elaborate?

Regards,
Stratobat

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2018, 22:38 

Stratobat wrote:
Hi Guys,

I wonder how long that convoy was? :shock:

Hey Roger,

Roger the Dodger wrote:
Our rail system (Spoornet) has lost/disposed of the capability to carry such loads.

Could you elaborate?

Regards,
Stratobat

I've just skimmed through the Executive summary. The "renewal of rail-lift capability" is mentioned as one of the goals of Milestone 3. It is probably elaborated in the main text, but that could take several hours to find.

From my personal experience, back in the days of the Border War it was pretty common to see trains loaded with military vehicles and other related goods crossing the country. Trains were also the preferred way to transport large numbers of troops over long distances. For many national service began and ended with a long train ride.

I've seen several discussions in recent years about how rail facilities (sidings and loading ramps and equipment) at major bases and logistics centres are no longer functional.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2018, 23:39 

Hey Roger,

Roger the Dodger wrote:
I've seen several discussions in recent years about how rail facilities (sidings and loading ramps and equipment) at major bases and logistics centres are no longer functional.

Your original post was a little ambiguous as to whether the problem was rolling stock, infrastructure or a combination of both.
The Wikipedia article on Rail Transport in South Africa mentions that something like 35% of the nation's railway tracks carry little to no activity.

- Wikipedia article on Rail Transport in South Africa.

Regards,
Stratobat

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018, 13:33 

Roger the Dodger wrote:
I've seen amazing Quick Extender Pro results and several discussions in recent years about how rail facilities (sidings and loading ramps and equipment) at major bases and logistics centres are no longer functional.

Amazing footage. This was a military drone, right? Would it even be legal for someone to shoot this with their own drone and post the video online?