The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 20 Sep 2019, 01:16

All times are UTC + 2 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 19:58 
Offline

Joined: 03 Dec 2013, 15:20
Posts: 173
Location: Cape Town/Quebec
Does anybody here know what unit the helmeted guy in the black and brown is from?
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 22:13 
Offline

Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 11:50
Posts: 4228
Jean Racine wrote:
Does anybody here know what unit the helmeted guy in the black and brown is from?

The unit is identified on the shoulder badge, unfortunately not visible, but the way he is dressed suggests Public Order Policing a.k.a. "Riot Squad".


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 09:16 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 02 Nov 2009, 12:55
Posts: 351
Location: Pretoria
From the little I can see definitely Task Force. Green jersey and camo uniform. This is the only unit in SAPS authorised to wear camo dress.

_________________
There's no such thing as a good or bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guy.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 16:38 
Offline

Joined: 03 Dec 2013, 15:20
Posts: 173
Location: Cape Town/Quebec
Wingman wrote:
From the little I can see definitely Task Force. Green jersey and camo uniform. This is the only unit in SAPS authorised to wear camo dress.


It seems the Counter Assault Team of the Presidential Protection Unit now also wears camo. As seen at Parliament during the student march:

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 11:14 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2004, 21:13
Posts: 1133
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Members of the SAPS Presidential Protection Service are permitted to wear camouflage uniforms. I've seen photos of the deputy president's protection detail wearing a type of brown camouflage pattern and the Counter Assault Team with a grey urban scheme, which appears to be the one seen in the photo from Parliament.

Both schemes are unique to the PPS.

The PPS badge consists of a surrounding ring with the words 'Presidential Protection Service (or Unit, I can't tell) - South African Police Service', within which is a motif of three interlocking coats of arms with what appear to be spears reaching out between them, surround and protecting what looks like a protea.

Does anyone know the definitive answer about the distinction between the Presidential Protection Unit and Presidential Protection Service?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 14:35 
Offline

Joined: 03 Dec 2013, 15:20
Posts: 173
Location: Cape Town/Quebec
Darren, RtD et al:

Has the SAPS PPU Counter Assault Team changed its name? John Stupart over at Daily Maverick and other media are referring to them as SAPS PPU Alpha Group.

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2016, 14:45 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2004, 21:13
Posts: 1133
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
No, the Counter Assault Team remains active. However, the camouflage that officer is wearing is in line with that worn by the SAPS PPU close protection teams, not the urban grey scheme usually worn by the CAT.

We know that the various close protection units of the SAPS are named Alpha, Bravo, etc according to who is being protected, so this is likely to be accurate.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 20:20 
Offline

Joined: 14 May 2010, 16:19
Posts: 408
This is news to me. Never knew there were tactical Presidential Protection units, I thought they were STF and for some reason had changed their camo.

When were they formed and what are their primary duties?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 22:22 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2005, 08:40
Posts: 3374
Location: Whangarei, New Zealand
That camouflage looks similar to that of the old Railway Police.

_________________
A plan is simply a basis for change.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 13:37 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2004, 21:13
Posts: 1133
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Foxtrot wrote:
This is news to me. Never knew there were tactical Presidential Protection units, I thought they were STF and for some reason had changed their camo.

When were they formed and what are their primary duties?

I speak under correction, but my understanding is that they've been around for quite some time, as has the organisation into Alpha, Bravo, etc groups.

STF's camo remains the one they've always had, but these camo patterns for the PPS/PPU close protection teams and the CAT are fairly recent.

H1017412 wrote:
That camouflage looks similar to that of the old Railway Police.

I agree, it does look like a scheme developed from the old SARP camo pattern.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 14:15 
Offline

Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 11:50
Posts: 4228
Darren wrote:
Foxtrot wrote:
This is news to me. Never knew there were tactical Presidential Protection units, I thought they were STF and for some reason had changed their camo.

When were they formed and what are their primary duties?

I speak under correction, but my understanding is that they've been around for quite some time, as has the organisation into Alpha, Bravo, etc groups.

STF's camo remains the one they've always had, but these camo patterns for the PPS/PPU close protection teams and the CAT are fairly recent.

H1017412 wrote:
That camouflage looks similar to that of the old Railway Police.

I agree, it does look like a scheme developed from the old SARP camo pattern.


Maybe someone discovered a stock of the fabric somewhere and decided to re-use it. I've seen "recycled" Rhodesian army cammo, often with an additional colour "overprinted" being used for civvy clothing for paintball and hunting.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2016, 14:36 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2004, 21:13
Posts: 1133
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
It's possible, but it's not quite an exact match to anything I've seen before.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 2 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group