The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 04:48

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 11:29 

I've managed to acquire these 9 SAAF commemorative postcard covers, all in pristine condition for the princely sum of $9.80! Scary to think how much postage costs these days, looking at the stamps.

As you can see they have artwork on the front and then on the rear it tells you what number in the series this envelope is, plus a little story on what aircraft it flew on and when. Inside the envelope is a brief history in Afrikaans and English about what the envelope is commemorating. I'll only type out the English versions.

TOP: This cover was flown in an Impala of 4 Squadron at AFB Swartkop on 4 April 1981

BOTTOM: This cover was flown in a DH 87b Hornet Moth from AFB Potchefstroom (ex 6 Air School) overflying Randfontein (ex 2 Air School) and Baragwanath (ex 1 Air School) to AFB Waterkloof (ex 23 Air School) on 2 May 1987, on the occasion of the Joint Air Scheme Reunion

TOP: This cover was flown in an Impala of 7 Squadron from AFB Bloemspruit to AFB Swartkop 1983

BOTTOM: This cover was flown in a Shackleton of 35 Squadron from AFB Durban to D F Malan, Cape Town on 8 October 1982

TOP: This cover was flown on 10 May 1988 from B J Vorster airport Kimberley to AFB Waterkloof in a Dakota of 44 Squadron

BOTTOM: This cover was flown in a DH 82a Tiger Moth from Witbank (ex 5 Air School) overflying Wonderboom (ex 3 Air School) to AFB Waterkloof (ex 23 Air School) on 2 May 1987, on the occasion of the Joint Air Training Scheme Reunion

TOP: This cover was flown in a Harvard from Standerton (ex 25 Air School) overflying Nigel (ex 24 Air School) and Benoni (ex 4 Air School) to AFB Waterkloof (ex 23 Air School) on 2 May 1987 on the occasion of the Joint Air Training Scheme Reunion

BOTTOM: This cover was flown on 1 August 1988 from AFB Swartkop to AFB Waterkloof

This cover was flown in a Shackleton of 35 Squadron from AFB Ysterplaat to D F Malan airport on 23rd November 1984.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 12:04 
Site Admin

Good catch. :smt023

The SAAF Museum put out a large number of these covers in the 80's and I've got many in my collection, some signed by individuals associated with the cover. However, some are also torn in half (don't ask, I got them that way!).