The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 Sep 2019, 23:41

All times are UTC + 2 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 10:54 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2007, 16:57
Posts: 5443
Location: ILS RWY19, FACT (Cape Town)
A MicroWings Cubby :smt023

Image

_________________
Brent Best


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 11:01 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: 29 Jun 2004, 17:19
Posts: 7565
Gee, I wonder who's aerie that is? :wink:

:smt023


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 11:45 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 20:22
Posts: 362
Location: Marina da Gama, W. Cape, S Africa
I wonder why it looks like a Gripen? :lol:

_________________
"You can't buy happiness but you can buy wine, and that's kind of the same thing." - Anonymous


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 11:45 
Offline

Joined: 07 Apr 2008, 11:50
Posts: 4228
Somebody? will have to send you a few profile piccies of the pilot - one must have all the details correct... \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 12:17 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2007, 16:57
Posts: 5443
Location: ILS RWY19, FACT (Cape Town)
Roger the Dodger wrote:
Somebody? will have to send you a few profile piccies of the pilot - one must have all the details correct... \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D>

True Roger, it's all in the details ... so in the quest for profiling perfection ... I'm gathering reference pics. :D

Image
Gripen aka Sardine, warming up the cubby.

_________________
Brent Best


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 12:26 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 02 May 2012, 20:21
Posts: 449
Location: Cape Town
I've always wondered, is a Cubby the same as the J-3 Cub?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 13:06 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 09 Feb 2008, 16:47
Posts: 1239
Location: Somerset West, South Africa
:lol:

Oh dear...
It looks good so far, Brent! :smt023 I might mission to the airfield later and get some photos for you.

Nathan, the Cubby is about 15% smaller than the J3 Cub. The design of the Cubby is based on the J-3 Cub, because I mean, c'mon, it's an awesome, simple, striking design. 8) Other differences include:
- The engine. Cubby can be fitted with a VW, or Rotax, engine. The VW engine has the option of being fuel injected. I don't know what the largest engine size for the Cub is, but I think the standard is about 80hp. Cubby generally has a 100hp engine. Cruise speeds are very much the same, though.
- Cubby has electric ignition. I think a lot of Cub owners have installed starter motors, but the old school pilots still prefer to hand-swing them.
- Cubby is very much a kit aircraft.
- Cubby runs on MoGas (unleaded car petrol), so very cheap to run.
- Cubby is cheap and easy to maintain (the pilot can do almost all the maintenance).

A lot of people think "Cubby" is an affectionate term for a Cub, but it isn't. They're two different aircraft.

_________________
[Sardine]
My Photos: http://www.airplane-pictures.net/member ... .php?p=882
Blog: http://the-flying-fish.blogspot.com/, UPDATED on 13 August 2013


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 13:57 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 20:22
Posts: 362
Location: Marina da Gama, W. Cape, S Africa
Gripen wrote:
.... - Cubby runs on MoGas (unleaded car petrol), so very cheap to run.-

As a matter of interest, what is the price of Avgas in RSA?
Does it also fluctuate along with the petrol price?

_________________
"You can't buy happiness but you can buy wine, and that's kind of the same thing." - Anonymous


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 14:24 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 09 Feb 2008, 16:47
Posts: 1239
Location: Somerset West, South Africa
fix-a-dak wrote:
Gripen wrote:
.... - Cubby runs on MoGas (unleaded car petrol), so very cheap to run.-

As a matter of interest, what is the price of Avgas in RSA?
Does it also fluctuate along with the petrol price?


It's sitting at about R14/l.
Yup, it does fluctuate with the petrol price.

_________________
[Sardine]
My Photos: http://www.airplane-pictures.net/member ... .php?p=882
Blog: http://the-flying-fish.blogspot.com/, UPDATED on 13 August 2013


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 15:24 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 14 Mar 2007, 16:57
Posts: 5443
Location: ILS RWY19, FACT (Cape Town)
Gripen wrote:
... I might mission to the airfield later and get some photos for you. ...
The weather outside is suitable only for for ducks .. stay at home. The pics can wait till you go out to FASH again :smt023

_________________
Brent Best


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 21:02 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 02 May 2012, 20:21
Posts: 449
Location: Cape Town
Gripen wrote:
:lol:

Oh dear...
It looks good so far, Brent! :smt023 I might mission to the airfield later and get some photos for you.

Nathan, the Cubby is about 15% smaller than the J3 Cub. The design of the Cubby is based on the J-3 Cub, because I mean, c'mon, it's an awesome, simple, striking design. 8) Other differences include:
- The engine. Cubby can be fitted with a VW, or Rotax, engine. The VW engine has the option of being fuel injected. I don't know what the largest engine size for the Cub is, but I think the standard is about 80hp. Cubby generally has a 100hp engine. Cruise speeds are very much the same, though.
- Cubby has electric ignition. I think a lot of Cub owners have installed starter motors, but the old school pilots still prefer to hand-swing them.
- Cubby is very much a kit aircraft.
- Cubby runs on MoGas (unleaded car petrol), so very cheap to run.
- Cubby is cheap and easy to maintain (the pilot can do almost all the maintenance).

A lot of people think "Cubby" is an affectionate term for a Cub, but it isn't. They're two different aircraft.


Thanks, that clears it up. I also thought Cubby was an affectionate term for the Cub :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2012, 22:15 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 09 Feb 2008, 16:47
Posts: 1239
Location: Somerset West, South Africa
And then the biggest difference of all... The J3 Cub was manufactured by Piper, whereas the Cubby was locally made by MicroWings in Secunda. The factory moved fairly recently, and is now situated in Barrydale. As far as I know, they no longer sell completed aircraft; only kits. When the factory was still in Secunda, you could choose if you wanted them to do all the hard work for you.

_________________
[Sardine]
My Photos: http://www.airplane-pictures.net/member ... .php?p=882
Blog: http://the-flying-fish.blogspot.com/, UPDATED on 13 August 2013


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2012, 10:23 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 14:50
Posts: 643
Last time I've checked, it was without wheels at the Stellenbosh Airfield....Just use TIPEX and remove the wheels once done :)

(Just kiddin')

_________________
UVSAAF Virtual Pilot: http://www.uvsaaf.fsworld.co.za/index.p ... ile/view/1
View my Blog here: http://www.fsworld.co.za/community/blog/Jakes/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2012, 00:16 
Offline

Joined: 08 Mar 2009, 05:05
Posts: 3549
Location: Canada
Jakes wrote:
Last time I've checked, it was without wheels at the Stellenbosh Airfield....Just use TIPEX and remove the wheels once done :)

What? Are they putting on floats with all that rain? :wink:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2012, 07:34 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 09 Feb 2008, 16:47
Posts: 1239
Location: Somerset West, South Africa
:lol:

That's not a bad idea...

The service involved putting new bungees on the undercarriage, so we jacked it up and decided that, while we were there, we may as well take the brakes off and have those cleaned up, and clean up the wheel rims.

_________________
[Sardine]
My Photos: http://www.airplane-pictures.net/member ... .php?p=882
Blog: http://the-flying-fish.blogspot.com/, UPDATED on 13 August 2013


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 2 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group