The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 07:42

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 18:43 

Spitfire Mk.VIII, ZX-V, JF578, piloted by Lt. John M.G. "Andy" Anderson, (328517V), N° 145 Sqdn RAF, Perugia, Italy, August 1944.

John Anderson was born and raised in Windhoek, South West Africa, and had joined the SAAF just after the outbreak of the Second World War. After receiving his pilots wings, he was seconded to the RAF. He underwent operational training at N°71 OTU from November to middle December 1943, where flying Harvards and Hurricanes, he came third in the class. He was thereafter sent to Almaza transit camp, from which he would be posted to an operational squadron. However, due to witnessing a theft, and then being required to attend the court martial, his posting was delayed. Months passed with him eagerly awaiting to be allocated to an operational squadron, before he was eventually sent to Italy. Crossing the Mediterranean in a large barge, he eventually arrived at Naples harbour, from where a further meandering train journey, took him to Termoli. From Termoli he would depart to join his squadron.

It was however, on the first evening after arrival at Termoli, that he realised there must have been an error in his posting. The only aircraft at the Termoli airfield were Spitfires ... an aircraft which he had never flown before!! Not wanting to report this error, as it would mean he would again be posted elsewhere and bring further delays, his fellow pilots gave him instructions on flying the Spitfire. The take-off and landing the following morning however, to use Lt. Anderson's words, "... was hardly poetic", and after landing he was ordered to report to the station commanding officer. He told the angry CO, Wing Commander Dennison, that he had never flown a Spitfire before, so how he had been posted to Spitfires was unknown to him as nobody had ever asked him if he had flown a Spitfire. He was now grounded, pending a decision by HQ as to what action would be taken. Two days later however, he was informed that due to his unblemished service record and due to a shortage of operational pilots, he would be allowed to continue to his squadron. He spent a further two weeks at Termoli, where he was guided by the CO who had taken the new pilot under his wing. Lt. Anderson finally got to his operational squadron in April 1944, when he was taken on strength by the "quarter to two" squadron - N°145 sqdn.

He was shot down on the 1st August 1944, when his Spitfire was hit by flak whilst bombing a bridge. Flying in Spitfire Mk.VIII ZX-V, JF578, as 'Dumpling Red 5", he was in a formation of six Spitfires who were tasked with an early morning bombing sortie against a railway bridge south east of Modena. He had released his single 500lb bomb and was climbing out of the dive, when the aircraft's powerful Merlin66 engine started spluttering. He continued to climb until just under 6000ft when the engine gave up entirely and burst into flames. He announced over the W/T that he was on fire and bailing out, then removed his headgear, removed the pin securing his straps, jettisoned the perspex hood, rolled the aircraft onto her back and fell free ... the story that follows is an amazing tale of escape and evasion, and one which is told in his book "Escape in the Apennines". Having baled out deep inside enemy territory, Lt. "Andy" Anderson was able to evade the German forces and finally reached the safety of the Allied lines ... some two months after being shot down.

Extracted from the Operations Record Book of N°145 Squadron (RAF), AIR 27/987/15, August 1944, The National Archives, Kew, London.

Image Source: Escape in the Apinnines by J. Anderson (1992) ISBN:1-86848-769-5

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 15:14 

It will be an awesome day when this beauty takes to the air again :D

http://www.spitfire-restoration.co.za/index.html

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 00:59 

Kremlin wrote:
It will be an awesome day when this beauty takes to the air again :D

http://www.spitfire-restoration.co.za/index.html

Wonderful as always Kremlin.

Unfortunately she is only going to be restored to a static display standard, unless I have hopefully missed some information in this regard. I think its bit of a missed opportunity not to restore to airworthy status even for static purposes. But I suppose its all about cost.

Have you perhaps considered contacting the restoration team regarding printing a series of your Spitfire profiles for sale, with a portion of the proceeds going to the restoration project?

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 10:15 

MARS wrote:
Have you perhaps considered contacting the restoration team regarding printing a series of your Spitfire profiles for sale, with a portion of the proceeds going to the restoration project?
Cheers MARS :D

Been chatting to the team since last year & I have already given them hires profiles of all the schemes worn by 5518. :smt023

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 07:22 

Now, if you can do one on the Supermarine Spitfire Mk. VB (JU-H Night Fighter), 111 Squadron, Royal Air Force Debden, Essex December 1941-2, Pilot: Sergeant Peter Durnford, you will be my hero forever. [-o< [-o<

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 11:53 

Drifter wrote:
Now, if you can do one on the Supermarine Spitfire Mk. VB (JU-H Night Fighter), 111 Squadron, Royal Air Force Debden, Essex December 1941-2, Pilot: Sergeant Peter Durnford, you will be my hero forever. [-o< [-o<
Oh my word .. a black Spitfire 8-[ :-k

What's the reason behind your liking this particular aircraft ?

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 14:39 

Kremlin wrote:
Drifter wrote:
Oh my word .. a black Spitfire 8-[ :-k

What's the reason behind your liking this particular aircraft ?

It's very unique, and I just started a build on that specific one. Was kind of a failed experiment by the RAF.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 21:43 

A really awesome artwork of 5518 / 5553!

In fact, even as one of the SAAF Museum team who assisted with the final stages of the project at Denel in 1995 I can find only five minor faults -

The "Spirit of Reutech" never had a gunsight fitted
The wing-mounted pitot tube mounting post fitted during the project was not of the standard Spitfire type but of a post-war type which looked somewhat different - as I recall it was a modified one salvaged from a Shackleton.
The exhaust stacks were not of the tapered & crimped outlet "fish tail" type but were straight tubular with round outlets.
The light grey underside did not taper down aft of the tail wheel but extended all the way to the end of the rudder.
The red wingtip formation light was quite prominent on a rather thick wing tip end cap.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 11:03 

Cheers flyingspringbok !!

You have a LEGENDARY eye for details :smt023

I'll fix these the weekend :D

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 20:00 

Kremlin wrote:
Cheers flyingspringbok !!

You have a LEGENDARY eye for details :smt023

I'll fix these the weekend :D

Some hate me for being a rivet counter! 8)

Love your work by the way =D>

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 17:16 

flyingspringbok wrote:
Some hate me for being a rivet counter! 8)

Love your work by the way =D>
Cheers flyingspringbok :D :smt023

Thanks for the corrections !! \:D/

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2017, 19:35 

=D>

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 18:32 

I just love those late Merlin low back Spiities. Never liked the early vertical stabilizer. With clipped wings, the late mark Spitties were the best looking of the breed :D

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 17:51 

Kremlin wrote:
MARS wrote:
Cheers MARS :D

Been chatting to the team since last year & I have already given them hires profiles of all the schemes worn by 5518. :smt023

I was delighted to to see the prints being sold at the Spitfire restoration stall at the Swatkop airshow today.

I purchased both profile prints. Really impressed with the print quality.

I briefly spoke to Col. Smit, who mentioned that they intend to fully restore the Spitfire to a airworthy condition.

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 17:57 

Also bought one at the airshow today ... (amongst other memorabilia) got a nice spot reserved in my office for it

Good luck to restoration team!

Kudos to Kremlin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next