The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 02:57

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2016, 09:24 
Site Admin

The Kremlins may have to move house to stay under the ILS!

Quote:
Cape Argus
Monday Aug 29, 2016

Runway realignment to impact Cape Town's northern suburbs

All appears on track for the Airports Company of SA (Acsa) to proceed with plans to realign its main runway at the Cape Town International Airport, despite concerns from residents of the noise impact on their neighbourhoods.

The R3.2billion project will involve extending the primary runway to 3 500m in length, with parallel and rapid exit taxiways, that will allow for larger, Code F aircraft like the Airbus 380, to land.

The realignment will mean flight paths will be re-aligned 11.5 degrees anti-clockwise along the runway, directly affecting the amount of noise experienced in areas such as Edgemead, Bothasig, Bellville and Parow.

The public have been given their last say on the runway project with the comment period on the final environmental impact assessment having closed on Thursday.

The final EIA report identified and assessed the potential biophysical and socio-economic impacts associated with the proposed re-alignment of the primary runway and development of associated infrastructure.

In response to concerns raised by Edgemead residents to the draft EIA last year, environmentalists noted in the final EIA report that while the area would experience a higher number of flights overhead and thus an associated increase in the noise levels currently experienced, other areas like Philippi East, Woodlands, Mitchells Plain and Tafelsig would experience less noise.

A noise study found the impact on the project would be "very high" if unmitigated, and "high" when mitigated.

A height restriction of 304.8m applies over residential areas, except where residential areas occur in the direct flight path on approach or take-off.

"With predicted exceedances of noise level guidelines in residential areas up to 15km from the airport, a significant number of people may experience impacts on their quality of life.

"Conversely, many others (though fewer) will experience reduced noise levels, which may improve quality of life," said the report.

Residents living in the city's temporary relocation areas around the airport also registered their fears they would have to move again.

The EIA did not consider the impacts of the relocation of informal settlements such as Freedom Farm, Malawi Camp and Blikkiesdorp, saying this would be handled by the city.

"The resultant negative and positive impacts on different communities are both rated as high while the impact on housing provision by the City of Cape Town is rated as medium," said the report.

Acsa spokeswoman Deidré Davids said the project was important to allow for further growth of the airport and the local economy.

"Currently the runway is too close to the terminal building. By realigning it, we move it further away and will be in a position to expand the terminal infrastructure as well," she said.

The realignment of the runway will allow for more aircraft parking, terminal and cargo development.

"When all is said and done, this project is about growth. The growth of the airport and the region as a whole," said Davids.

The existing runway is able to accommodate up to 30 aircraft landing or departing every hour, but now processes about 25.

It is expected the final EIA will be submitted to the Department of Environmental Affairs in the first half of next month and a response could arrive by February.

If there are no delays, construction on the runway could start towards the end of next year.

Construction is expected to take 24 to 30 months to complete, with 200 direct temporary jobs being created.

Between 900 and 3200 people will be newly and directly employed by Acsa in the long term.

To mitigate the effects of noise pollution in future, environmental practitioners advise noise contours be revised every five years to account for changed policies, improved technologies, altered flight paths and schedules.

The city should also be encouraged to consider predicted noise contours in future land use planning.

"With the exception of noise, the environmental assessment practitioners believe and the EIA report demonstrates that, through effective implementation of the stipulated mitigation measures, the adverse impacts can be reduced to levels compliant with guidelines," said the report.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 09:57 

Cool, so parow and Bellville will have less, and Bothasig and Edgemead have more.

fantastic. I'll have to speak to my dad about moving...

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 13:15 

Under the ILS is the last place we want to be ... which is were we will be once the runway is re-aligned :-(

We are currently 1.2km's away from the ILS, which make for ok photos showing more of the a/c side ... once it is moved we will be directly under it get nothing but dirty a/c undersides !!

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2016, 14:50 

I stayed in Monte Vista for a couple of years and found it particularily noisy when the aircraft took off in our direction, any Airbus aircraft were the biggest culprits.
I'm an aviation nut like most people here but one does have a sense of humour failure when the tv show you are watching has to be paused every 5 minutes due to noise levels.
Good look to those getting stuck under it.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2016, 11:38 

GAU-8A wrote:
Good look to those getting stuck under it.

So here's a tongue-in-cheek tip for those annoyed by aircraft overflights.

Years ago (early 1990's I think) a mate of mine had a house which was under the Jan Smuts / Joburg International flight path. Corner of Frangipani and Quinine Road in Glen Marais, I think. Anyway, the aircraft used to be really annoying, day and night, particularly when you were chatting round a braai or trying to watch TV. Until the day someone in Tembisa or Rabie Ridge fired a couple of rounds of tracer at the aircraft one night. Total miss, but the aircraft avoided that flight path for a good couple of months.

Note: As far as I know the tracer round story is true and I can personally confirm that aircraft activity dropped for a few months. But I don't suggest you try this technique.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2016, 22:01 

When I lived in South Africa our property bordered that of Grand Central airport. It was some of the best plane watching I've ever had, all of the airport traffic combined with traffic from FASK and FAWK and JNB made for great viewing.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 14:37 

H... sounds like you may have had the best spot!

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016, 23:14 

Certainly beats what I've got now. :( See the occasional C-130 or P3K and to a lesser extent B757. Rarely, I might see a Kaman Seasprite.