The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:15

All times are UTC + 2 hours

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2016, 23:57 

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-defence-lockheed-idUSKBN0UF1YB20160101
01JAN16:
Quote:
France said on Friday it would buy four C130 Hercules military transport planes from U.S. weapons maker Lockheed-Martin due to problems with European planemaker Airbus's A400M.

A Defense Ministry source had said in May that France had penciled several hundreds of millions of euros into its latest defense budget for the possible purchase of those four planes and would make a decision by year-end.

"I confirmed the purchase a few days ago," Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said during a visit to a military base in Jordan from which French jets are carrying out strikes on Islamic State targets in Syria.

The delivery of the C130s could start in 2017, a French military source said.

Le Drian did not go into details over issues with the A400M.

In July, Airbus Group had told buyer nations of the A400M transporter aircraft, which has been developed for seven European NATO nations, that it would not deliver all of its high-tech defenses according to plan.

An A400M crashed during a test flight in May.

Interesting ...

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2016, 19:37 

From what I've been reading on this, the reason for the purchase is because the a400 can't refuel helicopters. .... Personally I don't know why this couldn't be done. Can anyone explain to me why the a400 according to reports can't refuel helicopters but the c130 can

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2016, 01:45 

I have had some time to look for answers myself. If this is not accurate let me know please but it was the best explanation I hae found
A400M Helicopter Aerial Refueling Now A Research Project

Nov 3, 2015 Tony Osborne | Aerospace Daily & Defense Report

The head of Airbus Defense and Space’s military aircraft division says that the aerial refueling of helicopters by the company’s A400M airlifter is now the subject of a research project after admitting it will be impossible to achieve in the aircraft’s current configuration.

Speaking to journalists on October 26, Fernando Alonso said helicopter refueling simply was not possible with the A400M in its current configuration, but because several countries were interested in the capability, the company had begun work with some research institutions to see what could be done.

“It’s physically not possible given the length of the hoses, given the wake of the aircraft, and the power of the helicopters which are going to be refueled,” said Alonso.

He also stated that if in the refueling position behind the airlifter, the helicopter pilots are not in a position to see the the horizontal tail plane of the A400M, an issue which he described as “a dangerous situation.”

Of the partner nations involved in the program, only France is currently known to be interested in the helicopter refueling capability. Earlier this year, French defense officials revealed that Paris was examining options to purchase and convert second-hand C-130 Hercules or purchase new-build KC-130Js from Lockheed Martin to gap the A400M’s shortfall.

They see helicopter refueling as an important potential capability for future operations given its recent experiences in Central Africa where helicopters have been heavily used to support combat missions in the deserts of Chad, Mali and Niger.

Eric Isorce, head of flight test and operations at Airbus Defense and Space said that helicopters were able to move into a pre-contact position for refueling but holding that position for refueling was extremely difficult for helicopter crews.

“It is a case of separating the helicopter from the wake of the A400M,” explained Alonso.

“Right now we have 90 ft. hoses. Are we able to build 120-150 foot hoses? Are we able to stabilise it?

“So it is really a research activity and we are embarking with research organisations in order to develop this capability so we at least know whether it is possible or not.”

Recent tests with Spanish F/A-18 Hornets have proved the A400M can act as a tanker for fighters. The company hopes to certify the A400M aerial refueling capability during 2016.

The company is working on a helicopter refueling capability for its C295 twin-turboprop airlifter. While Airbus officials did not state this could be an interim solution for those operators unable to refuel helicopters from their A400Ms, they were keen to point out that it could be fitted to the smaller CN235, examples of which are operated by France.

Airbus engineers are also trying to resolve what it calls a “crossover issue” which currently prevents simultaneous dropping of paratroopers from the paratroops doors on each side of the aircraft. The aerodynamics of the aircraft, suck the paratroops around behind the aircraft, and Alonso says that models show that if two paratroopers jump at the same time there is a risk of collision between them. This issue mainly affects large groups of paratroops. The aircraft can potentially drop a stick of 116 paratroopers, with 58 going through each door. The company is working with the British and French defense ministries to resolve the issue, and will carry out more flight trials during the first half of 2016.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2016, 05:06 

I realize I've done it again. Sorry, I shouldn't be posting that stuff as I don't know. It's just deductions I make when reading news then following up.
Dean I have a lot of respect for you, and will continue reading your contributions on defence web. You are my local Larry king on matters relating to Simons town :smt023 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pN0Iwas5mxo

My New Years resolution is to listen more post less

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2016, 08:27 
Site Admin

Thanks wideawake and micfradus for posting the articles, made interesting reading. Never realised the aerodynamics, geometry of the aircraft and the powerful engines are causing so many unintended operational issues.