The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 21 Sep 2019, 01:06

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1007 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 68  Next
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 22:03 

Incident: Emirates A345 at Cape Town on Jan 4th 2012, unsafe gear after departure
By Simon Hradecky, created Wednesday, Jan 4th 2012 15:22Z, last updated Wednesday, Jan 4th 2012 16:13Z

An Emirates Airlines Airbus A340-500, registration A6-ERA performing flight EK-773 from Cape Town (South Africa) to Dubai (United Arab Emirates) with 243 passengers, was climbing out of Cape Town's runway 01 when all gear doors remained open following main gear retraction. The aircraft levelled off at FL100, the crew declared emergency and returned to Cape Town's runway 01 for a safe landing about 90 minutes after departure. The aircraft vacated Cape Town's main runway onto runway 34 and was subsequently towed to the apron.

One observer reported all gear doors remained open after the gear had retracted, the aircraft was climbing through about 2500 feet at that point. Another observer on the ground reported the aircraft landed with the gear doors open.

The airport said the aircraft returned to Cape Town due to a technical problem.

The airline said the aircraft returned to Cape Town after a technical problem developed with the landing gear. The passengers were taken to hotels.
Source: http://avherald.com/h?article=448bdaee

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 22:46 

It is possible that the centre pins were left in if the aircraft stayed overnight, as you don't normally put pins in on a transit check. It would also seem strange that the other pins, if fitted, were removed and not the centre gear, you usually take all the pins out at once and leave them for the flight crew to see that they have indeed been pulled. I'd go for a faulty sequencing valve.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 00:34 

Thank You Dean. I was just about bouncing off the walls telling Kremlin about my photo and waiting for him to hurry up and get home so he could see it. :D

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 11:41 
Honorary Order of the Trommel

Nice catch Mrs K. I can picture you bouncing around those walls waiting to post this scoop :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 20:13 

Thank you Doug. I phoned Kremlin at work and asked him to hurry home early. :D

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 20:17 

Mrs Kremlin wrote:
Thank you Doug. I phoned Kremlin at work and asked him to hurry home early. :D

My sister seems to think it was still at FACT lunchtime today, with a swarm of technicians fussing around the landing gear. She may be horribly wrong of course, her plane id abilities are less than nil.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2012, 21:17 

Eugene wrote:
My sister seems to think it was still at FACT lunchtime today, with a swarm of technicians fussing around the landing gear. She may be horribly wrong of course, her plane id abilities are less than nil.
There would have been lots of Emirates aircraft at the airport :D

We had three Emirates flights today, the last flight was a replacement aircraft picking up the remaining pax.

Emirates Airbus A340-541, A6-ERF (EK772)

Emirates, Boeing 777-31HER, A6-EBK, (EK770)

Emirates, Airbus A330-243, A6-EAF, (EK3765)

This from the Cape Times, ... must be a slow day in the newsroom again :roll:
Quote:
Passenger tells of terrifying landing
January 5 2012 at 12:48pm
INLSA

Passengers on Emirates flight EK773 to Dubai heard two bangs, and then a third, as the plane levelled out in the air and its landing gear failed to retract minutes out of Cape Town yesterday.

“We thought we were goners, to be quite honest. We didn’t know what was happening. There were terrible crunching noises,” British tourist Carol Ann Maxwell told the Cape Times.

Maxwell said she had wept and held her daughter, Kaley Ann’s hand.

The flight left Cape Town for Dubai at 1.55pm and returned to Cape Town at 3.20pm after a technical problem developed with the aircraft’s landing gear, Emirates regional manager Fouad Caunhye said. “At no point was the safety of the 243 passengers or crew at risk.”

Passengers said airline staff had told them after the third “bang” that the plane would turn back, but many passengers complained that they were left in the dark after this.

“When the wheels were supposed to go in we heard a loud thump, and we all knew something was wrong. Everyone just looked at each other nervously,” said Harriet Lowe, who was travelling alone to London via Dubai.

For the next hour and a half the plane circled over the Indian Ocean, apparently to jettison fuel before landing, but at the time many passengers did not know what was happening.

“I thought: ‘What if it’s an emergency landing over the sea?’” Maxwell said.

“We had to fly at an altitude of 6 000 feet so the fuel would evaporate,” passenger Melanie Sheldon said.

Passengers would be put on a replacement flight today, Caunhye said. An investigation was under way.

The city’s Disaster Risk Management spokesman, Wilfred Solomons-Johannes, said the pilot had noticed an undercarriage mechanical failure at 2.37pm, and the city had launched a disaster relief plan and emergency services were dispatched to the scene.

“While the plane was experiencing the difficulties in the air, an emergency landing area was being prepared.”

Solomons-Johannes said the aircraft had circled in the air until the emergency runway was ready. “We offered everyone on board trauma counselling once they landed,” he said.

Fire and Rescue spokesperson Theo Layne said 11 fire engines had been deployed, along with six rescue cars.

Sheldon said her four-year-old son had not eaten since 10am. “I’m actually disgusted by Emirates. I’m exhausted and hungry. Nobody’s been given any information,” she said.

Emirates had booked hotel accommodation for all passengers by the time they left the terminal building, but Sheldon said nothing had been communicated to the passengers of EK773.

Anna Erlank, travelling with three children, said she had not been worried but “irritated about not being able to fly”.

“My children are hungry, hungry, hungry. There’s no consideration for children or mothers travelling with children – it’s a free-for-all,” Erlank said.

“It’s not about the flight turning around. It’s about the service after (the flight was grounded).” - Cape Times

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 13:21 

Kremlin wrote:
Eugene wrote:
There would have been lots of Emirates aircraft at the airport :D

We had three Emirates flights today, the last flight was a replacement aircraft picking up the remaining pax.

Managed to get her in person today - the Emirates aircraft that was being worked on was parked at the back round by the car rental areas where they usually do the maintenance and things.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 17:01 

Interesting visitor just came in ... :D

Now wonder what is onboard ... :-k

Unites States of America, Boeing C-40C BBJ (737-7CP), #50730, "SPAR17"

The US use designations of "SAM" for Special Air Mission aircraft ie. VIP flights, the designation of "SPAR" is Special Air Resources, non-SAM VIP flights.

She is operated by the 932nd Airlift Wing, Air Force Reserve, Scott Air Force base, Illinois.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 17:04 
Site Admin

Oohhh, some good catches lately ...... =D>

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 17:16 

Apparently they could not open the BA Luggage holds this morning at CTN after her arrival as cargo doors were frozen :? :?: :? :!: :(

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 19:06 

Doug wrote:
Apparently they could not open the BA Luggage holds this morning at CTN after her arrival as cargo doors were frozen :? :?: :? :!: :(
Apparently .. ?? Do tell more :D

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 19:30 

Kremlin wrote:
Now wonder what is onboard ... :-k

Or who: what tax wasting junketteer is escaping the cold northern winter at the poor taxpayer's expense under the guise of "important meetings".

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 19:46 

[quote]Apparently .. ?? Do tell more [quote="Doug"]

A friend does airport transfers and his 9:50am collection saw him sit and wait for passengers to come through. They did not come through with their luggage which could not be offloaded and he eventually took his next pick ups who arrived at 10h30 to hotel first and then came back and picked up the first lot from the 9"50 am once the luggage holds had been defrosted....so the story goes. I wonder how often this occurs or what the causal factor would be? Edit: Ah but now I am entering the realms of speculating which I did not mean to. Sorry.

Last edited by Doug on 08 Jan 2012, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2012, 19:50 

Eugene wrote:
Or who: what tax wasting junketteer is escaping the cold northern winter at the poor taxpayer's expense under the guise of "important meetings".

There is a congressional mission visiting Ghana, South Africa and Tanzania led by congressman Lindsey Graham. Wonder if that's them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1007 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 68  Next