The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 20 Sep 2019, 08:00

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Which joystick do you use?
Poll ended at 08 Dec 2013, 13:37
Logitech 3D Pro 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
Logitech Force 3D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Genius F-33 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2013, 13:37 

Due to the number of joysticks on the market, the options are restricted.

Please REPLY and let us know what sticks you are using.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 16:50 

I am in the cheap, less than R1k joystick market. Years ago I had a CH joystick, it looked like it came with Noah and the Ark, but from what I remember it was a great joystick. Unfortunately someone decided they needed it more than I did.

I have experience with the lower cost Saitek offerings, but cannot recommend them. They do not last long and they wear out pretty quickly, especially the twist grip rudder function. Probably the higher end stuff will work better, but I can't say.

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro responds pretty nice and can take beating. I also use the joystick for arcade flying in Battlefield 3, which is pretty demanding on the stick, and still it lasts longer than the Saitek sticks.

I tried the Force Feedback Logitech back then with FS9, but I was not impressed.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 11:40 

Rafi - have you tried the newer FOrce Feedback sticks?

The problem with Force Feedback it is very sensitive and not self centering. And no matter how hard I try, I dont get them to point where you have a nice "dead area" to help with self centering. If they could only set up better, they'd be awesome.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 21:52 

The reason I tried a Force Feedback stick was because it made such a big difference in my racing sims.

But it didn't work the same way in MS FS9. If I recall it was as you described. It is possible that the setup was not correct, or that the specific aircraft didn't work with force feedback, but I am the kinda guy that don't want to struggle, so I swapped it for a regular 3D Pro. I also didn't try other sims.

Maybe someone who uses force feedback can comment and give advice.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2014, 10:40 

Sad to do so, but I have to agree. I fired up the Force 3D again, and still disappointed.

They need to do something about the Stick's sensitivity. I tried to get it as the Gripen simulator that was at AAD 2010 - I set a full deadband, so that it does nothing near the centre, and that you have to move the stick to the full right position to do a full roll, but she stays sensitive and goes into a full roll at almost a fifth of full movement. :(

Have had it with Force feedbacks and Flight Sim for now. The vibrator of wheels on the runway and the thump when the landing gear closes in, is not worth the struggle to get the plane to fly stright and level. And final approach is a nightmare...