The SAAF Forum

Discussion on the SAAF and other southern African air forces.
It is currently 18 May 2024, 17:05

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: IRIS F-16
PostPosted: 07 Aug 2013, 17:22 

Not SAAF , but a still a great plane for FSX. Very stable platform, which makes flying in formation a lot easier...heres a short video of it - havent spent a lot of effort making it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Cockpit:

Post subject: Re: IRIS F-16
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2013, 08:39 

My favorite jet in all time.enjoy flying it too..so maneuverable..

That's why it's called the present.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 12:06 

Does she stall as easy as the Alphasim Gripen? Blokkies told me the real jet CAN'T stall - amazing...

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 16:41 

I think the main problem is that Microsoft Flight Simulator was never intended to be that realistic, or not able to manage fly-by-wire systems. Because of this, mainly the fighters suffer from unrealistic behavior.

I was very excited when Alphasim released the Gripen a few years ago, but was very disappointed in how the aircraft preform. I have some experience on the real Gripen simulator, and while I can't say I am all clued up how it preforms, I did realize that the Alphasim Gripen was way off. The same was with IRIS's F20, it was the main reason I switched to FSX that time, but the aircraft preformed totally unrealistic for a fighter of its caliber, upsetting me quite a bit. Never mind that IRIS is not on my Christmas card list after the C-27J fiasco, an expensive aircraft with many, many problems and it seems that its deteriorating as you play, and not in the Accusim way. Their response was,"We are finished with the model and moved on.". (But OK, they are busy with a total upgrade, I will see what that brings along.)

However, FSX is able to produce semi-realistic planes. The creators are overwriting most of FSX basic commands or whatever, think of how A2A's Accusim works. Lotus's L-39C was done brilliantly, as far as I can tell by speaking to Pierre Gouws, ZU-TEE's pilot, as well as research on the net, the L-39 perform as it should.

But then again, these are not very complex air systems, not by the Gripen standards anyway.

Even the scenery creations is done in a different way, that is why ORBX's scenery standout as the measuring tool for the future of scenery design.(BTW, anybody tried the FTX World yet?)

Then there is the fight between IRIS supporters and Milviz supporters about the F-15C, from what I understand although the same aircraft, both perform differently and both companies claim they used a real F-15 pilot to supervise and test the products. The supporters each claim that their favorite company released the more realistic version.

Currently I am sticking to the warbirds from A2A, love my P-40C and B-17G, Lotus's L-39C, Captain Sim's C-130(it feels right). A2A kinda set the bar high with Accusim, but I also enjoy Vertigo Studio's aircraft,, looking forward to the B-25J. Also some Carenado general aircraft, they feel OK, but I have no experience with those aircraft so I can't say for sure.

I am very keen to try A2A's 172.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2013, 22:46 

rynopot wrote:
Does she stall as easy as the Alphasim Gripen? Blokkies told me the real jet CAN'T stall - amazing...

Definitely not as easy as the Alphasim gripen(I found the Gripen too stall way too easily when performing some tight turns...always thought it was me)! Too be honest although the Gripen is a great plane in real life, I wish there was a better one than the Alphasim Gripen.

I agree Rafi, I always had this nagging feeling on FS of aircraft performing unrealistically...but I put up with it anyway